Mini Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, after i moved the tank this past Saturday my fish died. I've come to the conclusion that it was how they were acclimated to the tank. The corals and inverts all survived.

Since then, I tested and only found high nitrates - 80 PPM.

I added 3 medium shrimp into the 125 gal tank on Tuesday. Yesterday ammonia was .25 PPM. No nitrites.

Today, it's <.25 PPM. No Nitrites.

Do you think that was enough to mini-cycle the tank? I have probably 125# of LR in the DT and a couple pounds in the refugium.

I just want to make sure it's okay to start adding fish soon.

The plan is to do a PWC to get the nitrates down and then start stocking.

The main question is was that enough of a trigger to mini cycle?

There was die off on the rocks, I'm sure. But how do you think the bacteria fared during the move and cool water temp's?

Moving can trigger a mini-cylce. And the shimp of course. You got time ti wait. Likely your ammonia will come down, but nitrites will go up and come down too. Like mentioned, wait until they're both zero.

Do you think it's been long enough to see a nitrite spike? And do you think .25 PPM was enough?

The corals and coral banded shrimp and star fish are all fine throughout this. The shrimp even molted last night.

It usually takes in the ball park of 7 days or so before you start seeing nitrites. .25PPM is plenty.

Tested again, no nitrites. I am seeing some brown diatoms. I guess things are progressing.

Update. Tested for nitrates and they were 160! I did a pwc of 15 gallons and will retest.

Does this possibly indicate the tank has cycled? Nitrates were 80ppm before I added the shrimp. I was waiting on the cycle to do a pwc. Also, when should I turn the skimmer back on?

i probably would get the trates down lower than that otherwise your looking at a fairly large PWC after your cycle is complete

Did another PWC - 35 gallons.

Nitrates are still blood red (API test). Over 160 ppm.

I'm making more RO Water for another PWC.

Is it normal to have such high Nitrates after a cycle?

Did you say your nitrates were 80 ppm at first and now their 160 ppm? Something not right. For one thing 80 ppm is way to high. Nitrates should never be higher 40 ppm for fish only tanks, 10ppm to 0 ppm for reef tanks. Yes on the skimmer, Fire it up it will only help to lower your organic load. Good lock

Fishman

Skimmer's been on for days now.

Weird thing is that the corals are doing great. I see progress every day. I'm baffled. I'll take a sample to the LFS and see what they get.

Did another PWC - 35 gallons.

Nitrates are still blood red (API test). Over 160 ppm.

I'm making more RO Water for another PWC.

Is it normal to have such high Nitrates after a cycle?
No that is not normal. I move aquariums all the time from place to place and from one tank to another and never have a mini cycle, ammonia or nitrate spike. especially doubling levels. How long has this tank been set up?

Fishman

Back
Top Bottom