Mirror Mirror On the Wall, What's the Color Of It All?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talenzmeier

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so this is a newbie question. I have a newly establish marine tank. It is fish only and it has a 75 gallon capacity. The nitrites have just finished dropping to normal levels. For the past several weeks we have been seeing a fair amount of rust colored "stuff" on the bottom of the tank and on the ornaments. We assume that it's algae (the tank has been running for 6 weeks). Lately, we have a new color showing up. It's an irredescent pink! Can I assume this is algae too? If so, any cause for concern? I know marine tanks take a long time to completely cycle, hence my reason for asking. Thanks!

The rust color is most likely algae. what did you use to fill p your tank? If it was tap water, that is most likely the cause of it. Using RO/DI water for water changes should clear it up over the course of a few changes. Not sure about the pink stuff but im sure someone in here will tell you what it is!

you will get a variety of algaes that will come and go as your tank cycles. You said your nitrites have "droped to normal levels" what are the levels? You're shooting for 0 nitrItes.

Back
Top Bottom