mix or fresh SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Other that saving $$$$$, are there other benefits to mixing your SW, rather than using FSW? I don't know if there are trace elements in boxed SW that are more beneficial to our aquariums than FSW. Whether it be higher concentrations or elements that have been filtered out of the FSW prior to delivery at LFS. The FSW I get has been filtered three times to remove plankton, I don't know if there are other thing removed as well.

right now I only have a nano, so FSW is great. But soon will have a larger tank.

the only problem i could see with fsw is that it could have pollutian in it, but if its filtered as you say then it could be a good way to go. i believe that the salt you get to mix salt water with has some elements added to it like calcium but you could add these your self

convienence and stability. if you have the means to make water, then you have new SW anytime an emergency may come up. Also, you have control over what goes into it, the salinity etc. The LFS FSW may or may not actually be from the ocean, and may or maynot actually be filtered to the extent they claim. Or it may be 2 years between filter changed, etc. If you take care of it yourself, you have better control of your system.

JMO

From what I understand from a friend of mine thats in the business the salt water you mix can go a month before doing a water change, the water from the ocean has to be changed in a weeks time ,I forget why or what the name is of the content thats in the water that breaks down quicker
I didn't understand this other then when I asked how come the ocean water if fine for the fish he advised I'm comparing small amounts of water compared to the size of the ocean
allot of people I know use it, you just have to add water to it as the salt content is allot higher but to be honest I'M afraid to use it because there was not a straight answer to the concerns I had
I asked is the water run threw a uv light to zap out anything that could cause harm ,he said no if you do that it will kill the good bacteria and other things in the water, well that didn't make sense to me so I said well how about when it runs threw the uv light filter on my tank??????
didn't really have a answer, stated they get the water from a clean area of the ocean from a boat where the hose a pump to pull it in and its done when theres low tide
to many things that bother me about it and this is kind of new so I will stay with mixing my own
I know before it became popular I use to here stories of people that lived off the ocean not using filters just using a pump to exchange water from there tank and the ocean ,today allot of people are using ocean water ,I don't trust it my self

I haven't heard anything good about water from the ocean.

But I have heard plenty of good things about some of the various salt mixes out there.

take it for what its worth. :wink:

Sounds like a unanimous verdict to me. The only salt mix that I have noticed at my LFS is "Instant Ocean", is this stuff any good or is there better. I'm sure they have different brands, but there is a pallet of this stuff at the entrance you cn't miss it.

Thanks for all of the input.

That stuff is great.

So is Reef Crystals.

But it seems that the winner is Oceanic Salt...I think thats what its called. People here love it to death. Fast disolving. good amount of minerals. I use it myself and had No problem mixing it well ( although I did have to add more than the recommended amount to reach the proper SG )

Me to I have been using instant ocean for almost 10 years, never had a problem

I've got IO brand right now, but my LFS sells the Oceanic brand for a few bucks less, and the buckets are a little more sturdy...which will come in handy down the road

I was in a petco (picking up a seaweed clip) and I noticed they were selling jugs of oceanic for $22 on sale (normally $24). The jug was good for 50 gallons IIRC. That's the first I've seen it in my area, how does that price compare to other locations? It was about $10 cheaper than the same amount of IO salt.

I'm assuming the mix is cheaper overall at the LFS, since shipping heavy weight would void any savings buying on line. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for all of the info. :D

Back
Top Bottom