Mixing Salt for Water Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoothie7

Aquarium Advice Activist
This may be a silly question to many but I am curious about adding salt when doing a water change. When I do a top off, we never add salt to the water, just simply pour RO water into the sump. However, when I do a water change (first one coming this weekend) I am suppose to set aside the fresh RO water in a container, make sure it is right temperature and add the right amount of salt for the gallons I am putting into the tank. When you siphon out water, does it take a lot of the salt with it? Just curious the thinking behind this and please don't laugh at me for the question :)

Mix your water and salt in a bucket for about 24 hours and then do the wc making sure that the salinity and temp match your tank

Mixing time depends on salt mix. Red Sea coral pro is max 4 hours for instance where as a lot of the other mixes do require 24 hours.

You just need to match the salinity of the saltwater you make to the salinity of the water in your tank. Refractometer is best for measuring this but you can use a hydrometer.

You use rodi for topoffs because the salt doesn't evaporate.

And yes when you siphon out water it takes out the dissolved salt with it. Matching salinity between tank and new water as well as matching amount of water removed to new water guarantees you are putting in the same amount of salt you take out.

the average amount of salt is 2 cups per gallon for a level of 1.024
as stated above most mixes recommend a 24 hr mixing using a good power head and heater

I mix RSCP for 24 hours anyway, probably habit, but I don't think it's fully mixed after the 4 hours.

I have a brand new white Rural King Feed Bucket that is 20 gallons. It does not say that it is "food grade" but I would like to use it to store my mixed saltwater the day before I do a water change. I have only used the bucket once to transport RO water when I was setting up my tank so there was nothing in it. Do I have anything to worry about using it?

I mix RSCP for 24 hours anyway, probably habit, but I don't think it's fully mixed after the 4 hours.

I mix 5 gal in 30 minutes fully dissolved. Mag 7 mixes it up pretty well and fast. Takes a little longer with a smaller pump.

Back
Top Bottom