Mixing Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ratrik13

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking for advice on what to use to mix my saltwater in. For my freshwater tanks i use the blue water jugs they sell in the camping section of walmart for my water changes since they have a nice spout on them. These just don't seem to be a very good option for mixing salt water since the mouth on them is to small to fit a powerhead in. Any advice you can give would be helpful.

I myself have a 45 gallon trash can (of course which DOES NOT leak) which I put water in. Put a powerhead and heater in, get the water up to the correct temp then add in salt. I put in a general amount, then test. correct as needed.

if you cant use a trash can, go to the paint department and get some 5 gallon buckets.. you can put anything in them lol lowes has them for like 3 dollars each.. and they have handles =P

Thanks for the input, I went by Wally World today and was looking through their selection of tubs, bins, and cans. I'm just not sure how to tell if the containers are safe or if they have any toxins they could leech (a few of them actually smelled like gasoline.)

My tub actually says "food grade" on it. I was told to look for that when purchasing a mixing container.

I use 5 gal bucket. It's easier for me to store. Old latex paint containers. Washed out real good. I've had no problems. also use homeDepot orange 5 gal buckets too.

I use a 32 gallon plastic trash can with wheels...makes it easy to move around...

I use a 5 gal bucket. i cleaned with really hot water, and scrubbed well. I didn't use soap or bleach since i have starfish in my tanks

Hi all,

I used to mix salt water until my LFS sells premixed salt water for 1 buck per gallon. So I just bring my 5 gallon jugs and have them filled. It is cheaper than mixing your own and far more convenience. DP

Back
Top Bottom