mixing saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbarb1111

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the process of setting up my new tank and am wondering if I should fill the tank with water and then mix the salt in the tank and then add sand. OR should i add the sand first and then mix the saltwater in buckets and add to the tank. Any instructions would be helpful as you can see i am new at this.

thanks

The best way is to add water, add salt, allow to mix for 24 hrs, then add cured sand. Cure it seperately in a couple of buckets or tubs with a dead shrimp. This will cause much less of a cloud/sand storm when it is added to the tank.

when you say cure the sand do you mean to cover it with saltwater and add a dead shrimp or just a dead shrimp? for how long ? Is there a trick not to cause a clould

thanks

Here's what I did...
Empty 55 gallon tank...
Sterlite 45 gallon container filled with RO water from my culligan drinking water system. Took 3 days or so to fill running 24/7.
Added salt with 1 powerhead to mix it with a heater. Had water in the container for approx 1 month due to classes delaying rock shipment.
Day rock and sand came...
Added all base rock...
got a big serving spoon and added in the sand between the rocks...
Dumped in the rest of the sand....
Added keys rock to top of base rock...
attached 1/2 inch hose to powerhead and pumped in the water... making sure to hit the rock and not the sand. As the water got deeper I moved the sand to the proper places and blew off the rock. Added heater and powerheads...
DONE !

Back
Top Bottom