mollies in a saltwater aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, mollies can be acclimated to SW, they are (if I remember correctly) actually a brackish fish. Start them out in fresh water and daily replace evaporation with SW (this will take a long time, but will be the easiest on the fish) or doing small weekly waterchanges replacing the water changed water with reg SW.

ya I actually seen one the other day I think it was lion food ,but it was 100% acclimated

When I started my first tank back in 1995, the LFS recommended mollies to cycle the tank. I know this is bad now but we used 2 black mollies and they ended up living a long time.

brackish fish

yup, ive seen it last week and i was amazed. also seen blue damsels in fresh water.

Black mollies are your best bet. They are better suited for the higher ph and temps of a SW tank. Best suggestion is get the tank set up and cycled before you do. Having LR is just fine and will offer some hiding places and possibley grazing foods for them. Not to sure they are grazers though.

Believe it or not they can be transitioned in less than a day. Place them in a container appropriate for their size and the amount of water than can easily be removed from the SW display tank. One gal per fish should do but only fill about ¼ with FW for the fish. QTing for parasitic problems is not a concern. The parasites will not survive the transition.

Slowly drip the SW from the main tank into the container over several hours. Once full, empty ½ the water and discard. Keep doing that until the salinity of the main tank and the molly "pen" are the same. You may need to re-acclimate them for temp but after that, net and place in the display. Be sure to discard all the removed water so you do not alter the main tanks salinity. Then simpley replace with well aged new SW.

Mollies in general are pretty messy fish so I would not recommend them for smaller tanks unless you like alot of maintenance :wink:

Cheers
Steve

thank you but i think i'll take the long route for acclmatign because my tank is 3 weeks in to is cycle so it should/nt take too much longer to cycle so when it does are everything is normal i'll put that molly in there

I currently have 2 orange sailfins in my sw tank. I acclimated each of them in seperately in 4 hours or less using the drip method. Once the water in the bucket is up to salinity, you can add the fish. Both are very healthy and active. They are voraciuos algae feeders and bottom sifters. They are very peaceful fish and I find them a great addition to my tank.

I have personally acclimated a molly to saltwater in less than an hour. It is not hard at all, and they do great in a saltwater environment. mine has been alive in saltwater for over 5 months now. They keep my top layer of sand sifted and my power heads clean of algae. Great with live rock.

Back
Top Bottom