Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #21
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
Do you have a saltwater tank

__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Bray84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 533
I'm from uk so don't no how old for jobs in us but if your old enought get news paper job. If you get any money at min try save up and get one of deals I always read on here like gallon a doller and just buy the other stuff in a sale or second hand of ebay or other site like it then just save for new and ask as gifts like birthday, Christmas. The thing is If you know what your after you can buy bit by bit. I've had do that on tank I've got now and I work and get alright pay with not a lot of bills as things for the hobby cost a lot more here.
__________________
Bray84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Tategrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray84 View Post
I'm from uk so don't no how old for jobs in us but if your old enought get news paper job. If you get any money at min try save up and get one of deals I always read on here like gallon a doller and just buy the other stuff in a sale or second hand of ebay or other site like it then just save for new and ask as gifts like birthday, Christmas. The thing is If you know what your after you can buy bit by bit. I've had do that on tank I've got now and I work and get alright pay with not a lot of bills as things for the hobby cost a lot more here.
I'm young too and I recently purchased a 90 gallon drilled tank with stand and filter and skimmer for only $200 I want to set it up so bad but I have to wait till Christmas to get the rest of the stuff
__________________
Tategrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Bray84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 533
That's good deal, I just paid 600 for 80 gallon with sump and everything to go with it and other 150 for bits and bobs but was good deal as if buy new, tanks 1100 so saved abit. Well not long to wait
__________________
Bray84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #25
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
Ok I've decided what I'm going to do I'm going to start with a 20 gallon reef ( eventually I'll put some.corals in it) and I'm going to put 2 occelaris or clakiis clownfish, 1 firefish, and 1 skunk cleaner shrimp and 10 lbs. of sand and 22 lbs. of live rock ( i may get a starfish i like brittlestars) its going to be $550-& $650
__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
Ya know howin the fish tanks at pet stores and fiash stores there's all ways dead fish floating around and sucked up on the filter intake will they pay me if i clean the tanks
Probably not. That would be considered child labor and they can get in trouble. Plus if a lfs looks that bad I would avoid it like the plague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
Ok I've decided what I'm going to do I'm going to start with a 20 gallon reef ( eventually I'll put some.corals in it) and I'm going to put 2 occelaris or clakiis clownfish, 1 firefish, and 1 skunk cleaner shrimp and 10 lbs. of sand and 22 lbs. of live rock ( i may get a starfish i like brittlestars) its going to be $550-& $650
Great plan. That's just about exactly what I have except I have quite a few corals.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
Ok I've decided what I'm going to do I'm going to start with a 20 gallon reef ( eventually I'll put some.corals in it) and I'm going to put 2 occelaris or clakiis clownfish, 1 firefish, and 1 skunk cleaner shrimp and 10 lbs. of sand and 22 lbs. of live rock ( i may get a starfish i like brittlestars) its going to be $550-& $650
It doesn't have to be that expensive (unless your counting fish also).
20 gal tank= 20$
Power heads = 40$
Lights = 100$
PFS = 5$
Base rock = 50$
Misc items (hydrometer, salt, test kits, etc) = 100$.

So 315$. If you didnt want a reef it would be 50$ cheaper.
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #28
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
The reason that its so expensive is the protein skmmer, lights and the canister fliter are around a hundred dollars each the lighting is T5-ho and the skimmr is for up to 65 gallons and the filter is for 30 gallons the v steilizer is $50, the moonlights are $40, the bulbs don't come with the light and are $20 each, the sand and live rock are $ 110 together, the tank is $33 because its a 20 long aquarium and i can't find a 20 gallon empty anywhere else
__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
The reason that its so expensive is the protein skmmer, lights and the canister fliter are around a hundred dollars each the lighting is T5-ho and the skimmr is for up to 65 gallons and the filter is for 30 gallons the v steilizer is $50, the moonlights are $40, the bulbs don't come with the light and are $20 each, the sand and live rock are $ 110 together, the tank is $33 because its a 20 long aquarium and i can't find a 20 gallon empty anywhere else
Ok if money's an issue, don't get live rock and live sand. Get pool filter sand and dry rock. You don't need a protein skimmer or a canister filter in a 20 gallon tank. You also don't need a UV sterilizer.

And your arent going to be buying SPS or LPS with your budget, so why get lights for them? Get cheaper lights that will be able to grow easy coral.
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #30
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
Ok this is my first saltwater tank so i want to go all out and get every thing oh and you can get lps corals in 20 gallon can you have a scooter blenny in a 2 0if you put him in a bigger tank after he gets big
__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bectan01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: melbourne, australia
Posts: 1,930
If you have a protein skimmer you don't need the canister, you also don't need a uv sterilizer. That should save you a bit!
__________________
Bectan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bectan01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: melbourne, australia
Posts: 1,930
A scooter blenny on paper fits in a 20g tank, the reason it not recommend is because they are a dragonet and notoriously difficult to feed. They eat mainly copepods, so large, established systems work best for them. You can buy them or train them to eat frozen foods but its hit or miss. My scooter never ate frozen and relies solely on my pod population (55g) they physically don't get very big...
__________________
Bectan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
A scooter blenny on paper fits in a 20g tank, the reason it not recommend is because they are a dragonet and notoriously difficult to feed. They eat mainly copepods, so large, established systems work best for them. You can buy them or train them to eat frozen foods but its hit or miss. My scooter never ate frozen and relies solely on my pod population (55g) they physically don't get very big...
I had a scooter in my 20 that I fed 2-3 times a day and still couldn't keep him because it wasn't sufficient. You definitely need an established tank for them.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
Ok this is my first saltwater tank so i want to go all out and get every thing oh and you can get lps corals in 20 gallon can you have a scooter blenny in a 2 0if you put him in a bigger tank after he gets big
I know you CAN but you probably won't for quite a while. It's your first tank. Just get zoas and mushrooms. And them move on to those bigger harder corals
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hasbrouck Heights, NJ
Posts: 900
Send a message via AIM to Breakthecycle2
I think the biggest problem is, no one told you cannot mix two species of clowns. They will kill each other. You said impatient. do your research and save for what you really want. Do not just get the first thing you think you can afford. You'll make mistakes and it will cost you more money down the road.
__________________
Breakthecycle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #36
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
I know you CAN but you probably won't for quite a while. It's your first tank. Just get zoas and mushrooms. And them move on to those bigger harder corals
That's what i was going to get and do you know if zoas, mushrooms, anemones will do better under t5's or led's?
__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Tkey3425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post

That's what i was going to get and do you know if zoas, mushrooms, anemones will do better under t5's or led's?
IME good strong LEDs or MHs for anemones
__________________
Tkey3425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post
That's what i was going to get and do you know if zoas, mushrooms, anemones will do better under t5's or led's?
Mushrooms and zoas can grow just fine under t5s but unless you have a very robust t5 light I wouldn't try a nem.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumlover10 View Post

That's what i was going to get and do you know if zoas, mushrooms, anemones will do better under t5's or led's?
Zoas and mushrooms are in a whole other ball park compared to nems. Stick to your beginner corals and get a cheaper light.
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #40
member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: south florida
Posts: 266
While i was at the beach 2 days ago i picked up some shells that look cool and have barnacles and algae on them so i am going to put them in my tank when i get one and they stink so i was wondering how to get that smell out of them until i get a sw tank?
__________________
aquariumlover10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.