money issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm from uk so don't no how old for jobs in us but if your old enought get news paper job. If you get any money at min try save up and get one of deals I always read on here like gallon a doller and just buy the other stuff in a sale or second hand of ebay or other site like it then just save for new and ask as gifts like birthday, Christmas. The thing is If you know what your after you can buy bit by bit. I've had do that on tank I've got now and I work and get alright pay with not a lot of bills as things for the hobby cost a lot more here.

I'm from uk so don't no how old for jobs in us but if your old enought get news paper job. If you get any money at min try save up and get one of deals I always read on here like gallon a doller and just buy the other stuff in a sale or second hand of ebay or other site like it then just save for new and ask as gifts like birthday, Christmas. The thing is If you know what your after you can buy bit by bit. I've had do that on tank I've got now and I work and get alright pay with not a lot of bills as things for the hobby cost a lot more here.

I'm young too and I recently purchased a 90 gallon drilled tank with stand and filter and skimmer for only $200 I want to set it up so bad but I have to wait till Christmas to get the rest of the stuff

That's good deal, I just paid £600 for 80 gallon with sump and everything to go with it and other £150 for bits and bobs but was good deal as if buy new, tanks £1100 so saved abit. Well not long to wait

Ok I've decided what I'm going to do I'm going to start with a 20 gallon reef ( eventually I'll put some.corals in it) and I'm going to put 2 occelaris or clakiis clownfish, 1 firefish, and 1 skunk cleaner shrimp and 10 lbs. of sand and 22 lbs. of live rock ( i may get a starfish i like brittlestars) its going to be $550-& $650

Ya know howin the fish tanks at pet stores and fiash stores there's all ways dead fish floating around and sucked up on the filter intake will they pay me if i clean the tanks

Probably not. That would be considered child labor and they can get in trouble. Plus if a lfs looks that bad I would avoid it like the plague.

Ok I've decided what I'm going to do I'm going to start with a 20 gallon reef ( eventually I'll put some.corals in it) and I'm going to put 2 occelaris or clakiis clownfish, 1 firefish, and 1 skunk cleaner shrimp and 10 lbs. of sand and 22 lbs. of live rock ( i may get a starfish i like brittlestars) its going to be $550-& $650

Great plan. That's just about exactly what I have except I have quite a few corals.

It doesn't have to be that expensive (unless your counting fish also).
20 gal tank= 20$
Power heads = 40$
Lights = 100$
PFS = 5$
Base rock = 50$
Misc items (hydrometer, salt, test kits, etc) = 100$.

So 315$. If you didnt want a reef it would be 50$ cheaper.

The reason that its so expensive is the protein skmmer, lights and the canister fliter are around a hundred dollars each the lighting is T5-ho and the skimmr is for up to 65 gallons and the filter is for 30 gallons the v steilizer is $50, the moonlights are $40, the bulbs don't come with the light and are $20 each, the sand and live rock are $ 110 together, the tank is $33 because its a 20 long aquarium and i can't find a 20 gallon empty anywhere else

The reason that its so expensive is the protein skmmer, lights and the canister fliter are around a hundred dollars each the lighting is T5-ho and the skimmr is for up to 65 gallons and the filter is for 30 gallons the v steilizer is $50, the moonlights are $40, the bulbs don't come with the light and are $20 each, the sand and live rock are $ 110 together, the tank is $33 because its a 20 long aquarium and i can't find a 20 gallon empty anywhere else

Ok if money's an issue, don't get live rock and live sand. Get pool filter sand and dry rock. You don't need a protein skimmer or a canister filter in a 20 gallon tank. You also don't need a UV sterilizer.

And your arent going to be buying SPS or LPS with your budget, so why get lights for them? Get cheaper lights that will be able to grow easy coral.

Ok this is my first saltwater tank so i want to go all out and get every thing oh and you can get lps corals in 20 gallon can you have a scooter blenny in a 2 0if you put him in a bigger tank after he gets big

Last edited:
A scooter blenny on paper fits in a 20g tank, the reason it not recommend is because they are a dragonet and notoriously difficult to feed. They eat mainly copepods, so large, established systems work best for them. You can buy them or train them to eat frozen foods but its hit or miss. My scooter never ate frozen and relies solely on my pod population (55g) they physically don't get very big...

A scooter blenny on paper fits in a 20g tank, the reason it not recommend is because they are a dragonet and notoriously difficult to feed. They eat mainly copepods, so large, established systems work best for them. You can buy them or train them to eat frozen foods but its hit or miss. My scooter never ate frozen and relies solely on my pod population (55g) they physically don't get very big...

I had a scooter in my 20 that I fed 2-3 times a day and still couldn't keep him because it wasn't sufficient. You definitely need an established tank for them.

Ok this is my first saltwater tank so i want to go all out and get every thing oh and you can get lps corals in 20 gallon can you have a scooter blenny in a 2 0if you put him in a bigger tank after he gets big

I know you CAN but you probably won't for quite a while. It's your first tank. Just get zoas and mushrooms. And them move on to those bigger harder corals

I think the biggest problem is, no one told you cannot mix two species of clowns. They will kill each other. You said impatient. do your research and save for what you really want. Do not just get the first thing you think you can afford. You'll make mistakes and it will cost you more money down the road.

I know you CAN but you probably won't for quite a while. It's your first tank. Just get zoas and mushrooms. And them move on to those bigger harder corals

That's what i was going to get and do you know if zoas, mushrooms, anemones will do better under t5's or led's?

While i was at the beach 2 days ago i picked up some shells that look cool and have barnacles and algae on them so i am going to put them in my tank when i get one and they stink so i was wondering how to get that smell out of them until i get a sw tank?

Back
Top Bottom