Money wisely spent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Earlgrey23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just got some birthday money and it is all going to my tank. But I want to make sure I spend it wisely.

The only pieces of equipment I am still missing on my new tank is a Protein Skimmer and and RO machine.....

I can't get both right now....

Tank has only been cycled for a few days and I am 6 weeks away from adding the next set of critters. Better off getting the RO to save on trips to the store and lugging the water up three floors or installing an HOB skimmer to help maintain tank stability? Tank is a 40G breeder.

I would get the protein skimmer first. Lugging water is annoying, yes, but doesn't affect the health of the aquarium. The protein skimmer does have an effect on the health of the aquarium. And without the skimmer you will need to do much more water changes.

First is there anything in the tank now?

Second what's your budget?

Third, how long till you would be able to buy the option you don't get?

My priority on a new tank would be the Ro unit. Yes the protein skimmer is good to have but until your tank is well stocked your bio filter (lr ad live sand) should be able to handle the load until you can get the skimmer...

My priority on a new tank would be the Ro unit. Yes the protein skimmer is good to have but until your tank is well stocked your bio filter (lr ad live sand) should be able to handle the load until you can get the skimmer...

Well a skimmer removes dissolved organic matter, LR does not. In order to remove this organic matter without a skimmer you would need to do more water changes.

I agree you know it.

But I also think the money he saves on Ro could make it faster to him to purchase the skimmer

Also why I asked the additional ?'s

I agree you know it.

But I also think the money he saves on Ro could make it faster to him to purchase the skimmer

Also why I asked the additional ?'s

I also agree, you are right. But if itll be a couple months, IMO the skimmer is more of a necessity.

Buy them both used on craigslist instead of new??? Just throwing out a suggestion. Depends on your budget for sure though.

I actually disagree. Success starts with the water. If you have an algae or cyano issue it's most likely caused from the water. I read it's okay to go without a protein skimmer up to 40 gallons. As long as you keep up on frequent water changes, you can replace the job of the skimmer. Of course it won't be as efficient, but having frequent water changes and pure water is waaay better IMO. The water is the source or your success/problems so it's really important especially for a reef tank. RO/DI would be a lot better than RO. Protein skimmers are $200, but so are RO/DI systems so pricing is pretty similar.

chbix said:

1. Current stock is 2 clowns, 2 hermits, a peppermint shrimp, 4 nassarious, 3 margaritas and 4 turbo poop machines.

2. 200-250

3. Whichever I don't get will have to wait to around february.

I understand I could save money going
Used on eBay or CL, but I'd rather for my first tank buy new since I want to be able to get sales support if something doesn't work.

BRS sells a 75gpd RO/DI for about 170, and the reef octopus 100 for about 130.

If I get the skimmer I could also get some GFO for water quality and still have some bucks for another couple fish in a few weeks....

Is the RO from the store really not as good as the stuff I would make?

Without testing it's hard to be sure of the water. Do you have a tds meter?

You can get new stuff off eBay. I found a 75gpd 5 stage for $120.

Feb is only 2-3 months away. With out coral in the tank and only 2 clowns + Cuc I think the Ro/di would be first. Some people have systems and don't run skimmers at all...

Just got some birthday money and it is all going to my tank. But I want to make sure I spend it wisely.

The only pieces of equipment I am still missing on my new tank is a Protein Skimmer and and RO machine.....

I can't get both right now....

Tank has only been cycled for a few days and I am 6 weeks away from adding the next set of critters. Better off getting the RO to save on trips to the store and lugging the water up three floors or installing an HOB skimmer to help maintain tank stability? Tank is a 40G breeder.

My vote is skimmer especially if adding more livestock that way your water is clean and livestock stay healthy and algae will be at minimal until you get the ro unit skimmer also helps add oxygen to the tank gettin ro unit doesnt aid in water quality other than allowing easier waterchanges you can still get ro water without having your own unit you cant skim water without skimmer

My vote is skimmer especially if adding more livestock that way your water is clean and livestock stay healthy and algae will be at minimal until you get the ro unit skimmer also helps add oxygen to the tank gettin ro unit doesnt aid in water quality other than allowing easier waterchanges you can still get ro water without having your own unit you cant skim water without skimmer

+1
Not getting the unit doesn't change the kind of water you use now. It's just more convenient, which i'm all for, but at this point it's much less of a necessity.

And it was said that many people don't use skimmers, which is true. But the same can be said of the amount people who own and even use RO/DI.

Personally, I got a skimmer. I don't have an RODI system yet, but I have 2 LFS that sell RO water for less than 40cents/g. And their tanks are clean, so I trust their water. I've not had any problems. I think which you get first would depend on if you have an affordable access to RO water or not. If you don't have an LFS that has nice clean tanks that sells RO water at decent price, get the RO system. If you do have access to good RO water, get the skimmer. :)

Id say RO/DI Really, but how much do you pay per gal of RO Water? See how much you could save, by doing the math and see how much you would have saved by time Feb come round.

I found a 4-stage portable RO/DI on eBay for under $70. I used it for nearly a year before I had to change the membrane and filters. I have a dual TDS meter although you really only need a single to measure the output. I mean, who really cares what the levels are going in since you cant control that. It's what's coming out that is more important.

Anyway, back on topic, you can find good deals on eBay or Amazon. Shop around and get the best for your $$$. You might find that you can get both.

Adding an RO/DI has been much more beneficial to my reef system than my oversized skimmer has been. The skimmer is great, but it isn't as necessary as you'd think. If the water is pristine going in, then you can keep it pretty clear with weekly water changes and controlling your feeding. Heck, if you could find a nice deal like was mentioned above, then maybe you could spend the remaining on a DIY algae turf scrubber or something else. Never know.

Just to add another variable. I have not gotten a Power head yet because the output on my canister filter seems to be able to put quite the current into the tank. But I have yet to see anyones FTS without one tucked away somewhere.

Your advice and opinions have been great. What do you think about the possibility of getting a PH too?

Thanks

Just as an update. I am thinking of doing Skimmer ( I have cheap and easy access to RO from Culligan, and frankly I need the exercise lugging those 5 gallon bottle up the stairs ) a box of GFO to replace carbon in the filter and if you guys think I need it the Powerhead otherwise I will use the extra for a couple of fish around new years.

Cheers
Ari

Sorry, ment a smaller skimmer and a power head. Have you checked bulkreefsupply.com to look at them? They have the best deals around IMO. Korellia power heads are also the best for your money IMO.

You read my mind. that was exactly where and what I was looking at.

Back
Top Bottom