More Reading :|

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I am still doing my research on salt water tanks lol :oops: .

Any way I have just come accros this book and this is a quick run down about what it says to do when setting up a salt water tank:

undergravel filter, cover with crushed coral, then place over a gravel tidy (sheet of plastic mesh) and then cove rin live sand. Then add the powerhead and a heater. It also states that you may want to add a box filter e.g. A Fluval

{Above} is all which is stated for the filtration.

However later it does say that live rock is very beneficial but is not needed :eek: .

Any way I have been doing alot of reading like I said and would actually like to run a 'undergravel filtration system' in the saltw water tank along with some living rock and base rock which i hope to become living rock lol :?

My MAIN QUESTION IS .... DO I NEED LIVING ROCK?

I am thinking about setting up a nano and I just wanted to know if I could run a 14 gal tank.

Lighting: 14W
Filtration: Undergravel filter, box filter, and MAYBE some live rock.
Substrate: Crushed coral and some live sand.
Decor: Base Rock and MAYBE some live rock lol.

live rock is not a requirement, however it is very good to have. plus it looks good.

as for that recommended tank setup... undergravel filters are not good for salt water tanks. they trap waste and will produce nitrates. crushed coral also traps waste and is difficult to clean.

most people here will tell you to use sand for the substrate, live rock for the biological filtration, a skimmer for protein removal, power heads for circulation, and possibly a mechanical filter for additonal filtering... oh, and 2 smaller heaters, in case one fails.

base rock can be used, it will eventually turn into live rock, as it is colonized with bacteria...

please dont jump in and buy stuff becuase 1 source recommended it. do additional research, and feel free to ask questions here on the saltwater side of AA.

~mike

also, per your new message. depending on the livestock you want to keep, 14w may not be enough. if it is fish only, you will be okay. but if you want to have anemones, corals, mushrooms, etc, you will need more light.

also, for saltwater, smaller tanks are typically more difficult. a larger tank will give you more water volume to "buffer" any mistakes.

i would recommend reading "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Fenner. it will definately give you a good start on the hobby, should you chose to pursue a saltwater tank...

~mike

I know I was just sharing the information, I have been doing some reading on this subject for a long time now lol.

I am thinking about: Live sand, Base Rock, about 5 pounds of living rock, box filter and a powerhead. Will that be ok for the filtration?

Ok here goes ....

Tank: 24 x 12 x 12
Equipment: Heater and the box filter (contains carbon in it???)
Filtration: 4 kg of live rock and 4 kg of base rock.
Substrate: Live sand.

in other words.. 15 gallon tank..

1kg=2.2lb

again the system design (what you will need filtration wise) depends on what you will ultimatly want to keep.. just as lighting requiements..

not only if you want corals but what species/types (softies{polyps, srooms, leathers zoos}, LPS and or SPS) of corals will require differnt levels of "clean" water..

and IMO live sand is a BIG waste of money.. play sand is cheap and works.. :p

How old was the "reading" you were reading? For SW tanks UGF are just out-dated. I suggest a 3-4inch sand bed with 1.5-2lbs per gal of LR for biological filtration in SW tanks. Nano sounds cool, go for it.

Thank you for the advice, Could I get away with 5 pounds of live rock and then about 5 pounds of base rock?

BTW can some one please explain how you do a water change in a saltwater tank?

Regarding the light for corals etc .... I wil not be wanting them; well not yet any way lol.
Fish wise I only think I wanted is a common clown as I think they grow to about 2.5 inch in length and I think I am only allowed about 4inch worth.

Back
Top Bottom