more stupid questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GinaD

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to buy Iodine and bought Potassium Iodide by mistake. Can someone tell me the difference and weather Iodide is even necessary? If it's not, I'll toss it. Also, what is the benefits, if any of adding Iodine?
There's already 1mg/oz in the Micro-Vert and 22mg/oz in the Coral-Vite supplements I'm adding. What are the proper Iodine levels and is there a Iodine test kit out there? I looked but have not found any.
Thanks for your patience.

Many corals need iodine. Also crustaceans need it to molt. NSW has levels a level of around .06 mg/l There are several iodine test available. I use salifert and seachem test kits and dose kent iodine.

Thanks Brenden! I will get one of those. However, do you know anything about Potassium Iodide?

do you know anything about Potassium Iodide?
I do not. I have only used kent iodine. Is there a reason you are concerned with iodine? Do you have a lot of corals. Usually WC are sufficent for iodine as well as any other trace elements. Any particular reason you are dosing coral-vite? That enough questions? :wink:

No, I don't have a lot of corals - can't fit too much in a 10 gal. Here's what I have:
yellow gorgonian, 3 mushrooms, several bunches of xenia. So I'm getting the impression you think I shouldn't be adding more Iodine? Should I not be dosing Coral-Vite? To answer your question, I got it because (I don't know much about reefs yet) and the front of the bottle says: "Essential Vitamin & Trace mineral supplement for miniature reef marine aquariums".

I find these additives unnecessary (with the exception of an sps tank). You can achieve results just with regular water changes. A good salt mix contains the trace elements you need.

whats a good test kit that tests iodide,ca,phosphate etc

No fish? I would say doing a 2 or so gal week WC due to your tanks smaller size is all you need. Pay close attention to top offs. No need to waste money on additives or iodine test. Put that money to the side and save up for your next tank. :wink: You could always have the LFS test iodine for you for piece of mind. My tank does use iodine but if you click my profile you will see why.

Yes, I have fish - I was just giving you the list of corals.
I have a young seahorse (yes, I know a 10 gal is way too small - I plan to upgrade very soon) a small clown & 2 scooter blennies. Also some snails and hermits, and what you said is aptasia. :fadein:

hackteck: seachem and salifert are both good test kits. Salifert being the better and also the most expensive. My iodine and phosphate test are seachem. All my outher test are salifert. Seachem makes a good general multi-test kit.

yea i got the seachem multi test for ammonia,ph,nitrite,nitrate, and alk but i'll need one for reef specifics later on down the road

seahorse :? Stick with a regular WC schedule and you will be fine. How long have you had the seahorse? They are very hard to keep. Especially if not in a species only tank. Good luck with it.

This isn't my first seahorse - I had one in my 55 gal. years ago.

Thanks for your advice! :)

Potassium Iodide is an iodine "salt". It is just another way of getting iodine into the water. Elemental iodine is fairly chemically reactive and you would not find it in a pure state naturally. Because of it reactivity, it would be most likely found as a "salt." In sea water, iodine is bound up as a salt, not in pure form. Pure iodine in pretty rugged stuff, chemically speaking.

JG

Back
Top Bottom