Moving 125 gal aquarium from Chicago to Indy, need advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Obmanta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I am moving a 125 gal aquarium from Chicago to Indianapolis. Along with the equipment are 175lbs of live rock, 125 live sand
3 corals and 6-7 fish.

I will possibly have a total of 15-20 5 gal containers.

My greatest concern will obviously be the corals and fish.

How do you suggest that I take coare of the corals and fish? Never moved fish and coral before.

Also the live rock, what are your suggestions?

I will have a pickup truck and a 4' X 6' uhaul trailer.

Any advise you can suggest would be appreciated.

Obmanta

Put you fish and corals/inverts in separate containers. You might try and get a battery powered air pump since they will be in the container for awhile. On my last move, I had a heater that I rotated from 3 containers to try and keep the water a decent temp. This was after the transport since my travel was only 20 minutes though.

For the rock, put it in a bucket or a rubbermaid and add a bit of water on the bottom but mainly just rock. Take a towel and soak it in saltwater and put it on top of the rock and then add a lid if you have one. This worked well for me.

I had good luck but buckets from Lowes and the lids they had. They did not have rubber O-rings on them but they did not leak for me. I used a lot of rubbermaid containers too.

Good luck. My 75 gal move was an all day event. A 125 would be tough. Doable though.

If it were me, the first thing I'd do is take the the fish and inverts directly to the LFS and sell them.

The I'd move the tank and buy new ones later.

In 1996, I moved a Dog puffer and a Percula clown from Lafayette, IN to S. IN near Louisville, KY - 2.5-3 hours. I used a bucket and a battery powered air pump. I traded the puffer to the LFS 2 years ago and I still have that clown.

Just be prepared.

How long will the ride be? Guess thats the question. its warming up down south (78 - 82 during the day now) so temp may not be a huge issue...unless its over heating ; ) Consider that all these animals have been shipped/transported at one point or another so shipping them again is not that daunting. Just make sure you give the fishes plenty of space and if its going to be a cold ride consider some way to keep the water temp in the 70s. I moved my 75 but it was only about a 45 minute ride. 5G buckets for everything and it was a cold morning. No heaters, no pumps but it did stress the fish. Nothing has croaked from the original crew though in a year...well cept some xenia that I was pulling like weeds for a while ; )

GL!

Back
Top Bottom