Moving a working aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boricua1213

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to buy a used 60 gal tank which has 4 fishes, live rock and live sand. I need some advise on how to move everything and not kill anything or keep the death count down to a minimum. The location is about 40 mi. from my home. This will be my first tank so any advise will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

buy a new rubbermaid container for the fish. drain tank water into that till its halfway full and put fish inside with a battery powered air pump + airstone to keep water moving/oxygenated.

Same thing minus the pump for the live rock (i'd not put the fish in it incase you have bumps, don't want to risk the fish and rocks hitting it up).

As for the tank bring a few good/strong friends to move it with you. Then leave sandbed in and drain most of the water out (leave a few inches so that your sand stays submerged to prevent it from drying out and killing the bacteria) lift tank from corners and support the middle of the tank, best bet is to try to keep the sand as even as possible so that the weight doesn't shift from end to end.

Back
Top Bottom