Moving tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markzitz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. I have a question about moving a tank.

I am buying a system that is up and running. it includes the tank, stand, canopy, live rock, live sand, canister filter, and KED light. Also a few fish.

The problem is that is about 8 hours away.

My plan is to put the rock into buckets of tank water. I am going to pump as much of the remaining water into a large container. I will hook the canister filter up to that tank and power it from an inverter in the truck. That way the filter will still be useable when I get home.

Planning to get rid of the live sand.

After arriving home, I will position the stand and install the tank. Add new, non live sand. Then, add the tank water that had been in the container being filtered and add the live rock that has been in the buckets. Tank should now be about 3/4 full. Going to top it off with fresh saltwater that I will have mixed up ahead of time. Now reinstall the filter and let it run for a couple hours. Test the water and if all is good, I will put the fish in.

For the fish to make the trip, I plan to put them in a cooler that is about 1/2 full of tank water. Add an air stone connected to an air pump that is powered by the inverter.

How does this plan sound?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

If you have the inverter run a heater in your livestock bucket.You can get a little 25 watt one at walmart that will maintain 78 degrees.
Also when you get the tank setup and filled at the new location,make sure you don't add your livestock back until your temp is right.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Be sure to line the cooler with bags Styrofoam can be toxic , saltwater eats away Styrofoam
which will poison the water .

Back
Top Bottom