My 1st 75 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klcon1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I decided to jump into the saltwater world with both feet. I started a 75 gal build in my basement. It quickly got out of hand and cost a lot more money then I planned on. Hopefully, it will be worth it in the end.

I have a Hydor 505 performer skimmer, Mag 18 return pump, Spectra Pure 90 gpd RO/DI unit, (2) Hydor 1400 gph Koralia power heads and a pair of Kessil A350W LED lights.

I used 1.5 inch for the drains and 3/4 inch for the returns with two lockline heads on each return. And I made a rookie mistake adding the water and did not cover the sand so I had a cloudy mess for a week now. Needless to say I am ready for some rock and fish. Here are a couple pics of my progress so far.

I've been getting a ton of advice from the local fish store but any suggestions and advice are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8776.jpg
    IMG_8776.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_8765.jpg
    IMG_8765.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_8774.jpg
    IMG_8774.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8768.jpg
    IMG_8768.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 110
That's awesome! Is your cycles finished? What kind of fish are you putting in your tank?

I am going to add live rock so I was told the tank won't need to cycle that it will be ready once the rock is in. Like I said I am new so I am relying heavily on the owner of my lfs for guidance. As far as fish go I have to get "Nemo" for my daughter first. And maybe a couple gobies. The problem I have is almost all the fish me and my wife like are not "reef safe."

If the live rock is completely cured already, and it remains fully submerged during transport to your house, then yes, you won't have to cycle the tank. After putting in the rock though, it would be a good idea to give it a few days, checking water parameters, to make sure that the rock didn't have any die-off, before adding any stock. After this, adding stock slowly, like one fish a week, will allow the bacteria time to catch up to the necessary levels for your bio-load.
Have fun with it!

Flreefer-the plan is to add two clownfish, two gobies and some cleaner shrimp to start. Between the tank and sump I have about 120 gallons of water and figured that load wouldn't be too much of a strain. What do you think?

I would maybe add the 2 gobies and a shrimp, give it a week, and then add the clowns and another shrimp. This would allow your BB time to catch up. Even though your at about 120 total volume, you might see an ammonia spike, if added all at once.
You could do it all at once, if you keep testing for Ammonia, and perform water changes if necessary, to keep them down.
Slower is always better...

Good point. I will have to add the clowns first. My daughter is anxiously waiting for them.

That should be fine in a 100g. The only reason I suggested the gobies first, was that you should always try to add the most aggressive fish last. It allows the more shy fish to feel at home. The more aggressive fish are the "new guys", and a little less likely to start a turf war, because they feel that it's their tank. With clowns and gobies though you should be good. Oscelaris and Perculas are not very aggressive, usually... Now Clarkii's and Maroon's on the other hand...
I believe "Nemo" was an Oscelaris.
You should think about your overall fish stocking list, and add in order, least to most aggressive.

That is a beautiful start. If it makes you feel better, Im on my second SW tank now and I still stir up the sand. I just don't worry about it while I cycle lol. Your setup makes me want to build a garage so I can get one going like that and go bigger than 55.

Back
Top Bottom