my 1st corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the grim reefer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well I took the plunge and bought 2 new corals and I am so excited...not sure what the heck to do with them but I have them :) Actually the guy at the LFS showed me how to feed them so that should be okay I hope. I got a bubble coral and a plate coral with long feeder tentacles...he said to put them in a medium flow so they are there and both are on the sand bed....any suggestions if there is something I should watch with them or any advice on keeping them alive? I hope to..but you never know...this coral thing is mind boggling to say the least.

Thanks again

IMO I would put the bubble coral on your rock. I dont know how or what the LFS told you about feeding but you really dont need to. I have not fed mine since I have bought it. They get all they need from the lighting and the water column. It is 4 times bigger than when I first got it. As a matter of fact here it is.

Attachments

• 01010092_158.jpg
    01010092_158.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 374
Good to know...I will move him up onto the rock then...your is beautiful! I sure hope that someday my tank looks like yours because it is stunning..I was just checking out your gallery again...thanks for the tip.

Grim

I`m sure your`s will look just as good later on. You seem to really care and that`s what is needed.

I have my bubble coral on the rocks too. I have a Heliofungia plate that lays on the sand. Mine seems to like low flow the best, even indirect flow seemed to bother it too much. The bubble I have in moderate flow and it's growing VERY good.

Funny... I was just going to post about my plate coral tonight! I've had a fungia (short tentacled) for about 10 days now. First "real" coral... not counting the zooanthids. Grim Reefer... you'll have fun watching your plate coral!

I'd agree with putting the bubble coral up on your rocks, but definitely keep the plate coral on the sand bed. I'd read how they can move, and thought, "yeah... sure!" Wow. What I saw tonight I was totally amazed with. The thing was really really puffed up and just when I thought it couldn't get any bigger, it got even bigger. The short little tentacles were barely even visible. Just then, it just kind of lifted up one side of itself and scooted about 3/4" across the sand, and slowly slowly deflated a bit at a time. My jaw just about hit the floor. Our 5-year old was watching it with me, and she ran away from the tank somewhat afraid! I'm still not sure how it did that. I felt like I was watching a David Blaine (illusionist guy) show on TV!

Anyway... I'd originally put my fungia in a lower flow area of the tank and with tonights move (coupled with a couple other moves it did over the last week, at night while I was sleeping!) it's now moved itself into a more moderate flow area. I'm interested to see where it ends up parking itself, as I assume it will move itself to where it likes it best. Perhaps yours will do the same if it doesn't like where you put it!

Oh... and it will eat mysis shrimp just fine. Either spot feed some right by the mouth, or land some out on the outer edges and have fun watching it get it to its mouth. But as mentioned previously, you don't need to feed it anything from what I've been told. If you do spot feed it, just make sure your shrimp are fed first. Dang things will go over and literally grab a mysis shrimp that's halfway down the plate corals mouth, drag it out, and scamper off with it.

Thank you all...I am so looking forward to having them...I just worry about not doing something right and everyone always offers such good guidance....I told my LFS guy that I am truly fascinated by them...he is starting me out slow with them and just letting me get things that he knows I can handle..(ya right-little does he know) :) I am just looking forward to the day that I can look at my tank and think...ummm I could have paid off my house...

I moved the bubble up onto the rocks..I am thinking now that the plate coral might have too much flow and the bubble not enough...but maybe mine will move like Kurts....they are such neat creatures...my LFS had a sun coral in and it was breathtaking....that is on my list to get! anyone have one of them?

You guys are the best and thanks again
Grim

Thanks for the links...the one that he had in was the reefkeeping one...he mentioned that they have to be target fed at night when they open up....it will be abit yet before I get one...

Back
Top Bottom