My 20g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasoncwrd2002

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my 20g tank has been going for over a month. I finally just bought a test kit to use on my 55g I'm starting. Figure I would learn how to use it on the 20. I use water from the ocean in it. So here's my readings.

Ph-8.0
Ammonia-8.0 (prob higher its super dark but scale only goes to 8)
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

I'm already tracking I was over feeding and prob over stocked with 2 damsels, 2 clownfish, hermit crab, several Halloween crabs and one turbo snail. They are all gonna get rehomed to 55g once cycle is complete.

Your amm is 8.0??? I have never seen a reading that high, am surprised you have anything still alive in there! I would recommend frequent PWC to get that amm down, poor fishes :(

As much as I am against micro bacterial additives because they lead to a false cycle YOU NEED IT NOW! Ammonia levels of 8 ppm will soon kill your fish. A 50% pwc will put your level at 4 ppm which will probably kill your fish.
A bacteria cycle booster will lower your level and hopefully help save your poor fish.

Yea I'm not really sure on the reading either. Last night was first time I ever used the tester and it was 8.0 on 20g and on my 55g which just got set up it was .25 which has had nothing in it but sand, ro water and salt. Gonna run to lfs here in a few and see what chemicals they got that might help.

As for the fish the 2 clownfish look healthy, one damsel stays white and the other one stays dark. I spoiled them by over feeding them I know was doing 3 a day now down to two an think ill only feed once today and maybe 0 tomorrow.

What test kits are you using? Sounds like it could be bad readings. can you take your water into a LFS for a second opinion? Also, see if you can get a refractometer for measuring salinity, much more accurate (referring to your other post)

I was hoping he was off on his tests as well, but he also tested his 55 which he hasn't started to cycle yet and it was .25. Looks like his tests are accurate.

Ammo lock will convert the ammonia to ammonium which is normally non toxic. However at a level of 8 ppm (hopefully that is the total ammonia and ammonium level, not the remaining ammonia level) it may still be harmful. The future problem is once the bacteria convert the ammonium to nitrites, it is as harmful to fish and cannot be "locked" like ammonia can. keep a close eye on trites once they start to show and water change often.

What test do you use for ammonia, as that should determine if your 8ppm is just ammonia or the combined total, ammonia and ammonium.

API test kit uses a 2 part test which means you may be testing foe only ammonia. That means your levels are still very high and toxic.

HOB was cleaned and filter changed maybe 2 weeks ago. Ill actually do another tomorrow. Last one I changed all three pieces.

Do you have sand? I am just trying to work out where your BB is. I don't know much about mechanical filtration but having no rock could be why your tank is properly cycled? Hopefully someone else can give an opinion here. You def need to do some major PWC to get that ammonia down, those fishes must be suffering!

And ammo lock ain't bringing it down at all after 2 days. Im gonna take a tube of water in tomorrow to LFS and have them test it out also for a second opinion.

Back
Top Bottom