My 55g Reef Buildout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try pulling some off and see what it looks like up close. It doesn't look long enough to be hair algae. I can't really tell from the pic.

I tried pulling some off, but I was unable to. I could try scraping it, but I decided not to try that right now.

Click on the image to make it bigger.

It doesn't seem to be getting longer than that, but it is spreading to where coraline algae isn't located (mainly my base rocks).

Yep...that is hair algae. It is tough to get loose from the rock too. Frequent PWCs, make sure that if you have sponges or filter floss that it is cleaned out. Rinse it out with old SW from your tank. Some snails and other critters will eat the hair algae but getting to the source is the best idea.

Right now I am doing atleast 1 PWC per week. The nitrates are down to 1 - 5 (compared to 20+ before). Im actually going to run out of my first bucket of salt soon (probably only have enough for another 30 gallons or so).

I am going to pick some up on Friday from a local store... Their prices arent that bad, and it comes out to be the same was F&S with shipping / taxes / etc taken into account.

This weekend I got a couple new corals... One is a (5 headed) Duncan, the other is some Bright Orange Zoos.

2985763374_4965133703.jpg

2982723341_8a928e09b3.jpg

This update will probably be the last in this thread for new stuff... Unforunately, I will not have the 55 gallon for much longer... I am due to pickup an Oceanic 150g RR tank + stand this weekend from a local club member. Picked it up for $150, so I couldn't complain. He just upgraded to a 250 gallon so he didn't need this anymore.

Woot Woot! :)

Thanks Ziggy. Its in, and most of the way full of water now, just getting it cleared up... I still haven't done the plumbing yet! ;)

Back
Top Bottom