My 75 gallon reef build: Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lepomis

Aquarium Advice Freak
Starting to put together lighting for my tank. Currently I have a 4 bulb, 54 Watt T5HO set up with individual reflectors. With the current fixture I have limited space in the canopy, approximately 6 inches. I am looking at the addition of either 2 X 96 PC, two more T5HO, etc. Any suggestions?

I'd go with 2 more T5's if it were my tank. More efficient, cool, deeper penetration with T5 vs. PC.

Do you think there is room to squeeze maybe 2 MH fixtures? Do you plan on keeping high llight corals?

I was looking at attempting to squeeze in two 175's but don't think it is going to be possible unless I disassemble the T5HO fixture. Another concern is the height of the canopy I typically see "monster" canopys for MH. I have around 6 to 6.5 inches of canopy depth to mess with. I will see how many more T5HO I can squeeze in.

I would think that highlight corals will likely not be kept. Problem I have is the overall inconsistency of the information I come across comparing the more traditonal MH. The comparisons are sort of useless because they are started with the entrie purpose of showing that the individuals lighting source is superior (not about facts). Sort of like Ford and Chevy diehards (no winning an arguement with either). Overall it appears that 4 T5HO with individual reflectors compares favorably to a 250 watt MH and surpasing with age?

Back
Top Bottom