my first coral, toadstool leather mushroom...but i need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

proverbs

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i got my first coral at my lfs, a pink toadstool leather mushroom, looks almost like rubber if you look at it closely. anyways, i brought it home at around 5p and accimiliated it for around 25 minutes during and after i was doing my water change. now it is 9p, but it still has not opened up yet. i'm scared that it is dead or it is going to die. i checked my water a few days ago and everything was good, except nitrate was at around 30. not sure if this is the reason. can anyone shed some light?

and is there any specific advice i need for these types of corals? i have a JEBO tank with 2 55W blue and white bulbs. and i got this coral in hopes that my maroon clown will come out of its corner and play in the toadstool.

It will likely sleep through the night. Mine always close up at night. Then right after the lights come on it should show polyps. If it doesn't then it may have stressed a little during the move and will take 2 or 3 days to shed. That is a process they go through and nothing to worry about. If it starts to deteriorate then you may worry, but right now I wouldn't think anything of it.

When it gets too big for its britches it will start to get holes in it. Those are part of the splittling process and that's how they reproduce.

Good luck and enjoy! I love my toadstool!

i plan on getting one of these in a little bit as well. I've purposely stayed away from coral forever because i want to keep it simple. But the lure of the coral is too much and i'm about to give in.

well, you guys were right. it sprouted up this morning.

hopefully my maroon notices the coral.

how often are you supposed to feed these things anyways? and what do you guys recommend i feed them?

I recommend not feeding them. Just do what you usually do...feed the fish, it should do fine without you adding more stuff to the tank.

Hara said:
I recommend not feeding them. Just do what you usually do...feed the fish, it should do fine without you adding more stuff to the tank.

thanks for the advice hara.

i'm guessing the LFS store guy told me the coral food was HIGHLY RECOMMENDED because he wanted to make an extra buck then.

isnt marine snow supposed to be good for corals?, correct me if i'm wrong

You are still adding things that can add to the contamination of the water rather quickly, unless you have a huge amount of corals that are using up more of everything than you can supply with normal feeding and water changes then I sure wouldnt...that is my personal opinion tho.

i dont have any corals yet just going by what i was reading, also i read about it says doesnt leave excess nutriunts

Mine grows like crazy with just the normal fish feedings. I wouldn't add anything special unless you had really a good skimmer.

unfortunately, we cannot believe all that the bottles say..if it adds nutrients and the corals do not use them up, it "leaves" nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom