My first Fish Tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ms.kim

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,

I've always wanted a fish tank and as of today I bought a 100 gallon tank:) I can't wait to start a salt water fish tank but as a first timer I know I have a lot to learn so I want to take this process slowly. So I can learn a few things from the professionals:) I need to know everything you know because as for now I know nothing..... Please help me!!!! I can't wait no longer:)

Hi, Welcome to the forums. I am new also. I have one piece of advice. If you use tap water, condition the water for chlorine and stuff before adding salt.

Good Luck, post pictures as you move along. Looking forward to seeing:) your progress.

With a 100 I would do a FOWLR first. If you plan on a reef eventually (and I mean super long term) make sure you only add reef safe fish. With a 100g tank you are going to want a sump of some sort, a skimmer, lots of filtration, etc. I have no experience with large tanks so I'll let them provide the specifics.

Your on the right track, the bigger the better for newbies. which I am on.

Do a fishless cycle, it's easier and you won't lose fish.

Do lots and lots of research.

Be prepared to spend some dough.

Don't trust your Petco, Petsmart, or any other variety of store, unless you hear good reviews about the store on here or another aquarium forum.

Be patient. and HAVE FUN

Yea do not listen 100% to what your LFS says, they are in the business to sell whatever they have. Heed their warnings though for sure because if they warn you for example "that mandarin will only eat live pods" listen, because when they give advice that could ruin a sale they are most likely sincere.

If you see a fish you like and they say "yea, it's 100% peaceful, won't eat those little gobies" research it first and see if they're truthful. It's best to know what you want to buy before you get to the LFS so you can research it, unless you have a smart phone in which case you can research on the spot.

?

With a 100 I would do a FOWLR first. If you plan on a reef eventually (and I mean super long term) make sure you only add reef safe fish. With a 100g tank you are going to want a sump of some sort, a skimmer, lots of filtration, etc. I have no experience with large tanks so I'll let them provide the specifics.

Whats a FOWLR?

Back
Top Bottom