My first near catastrophe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callen

Aquarium Advice Freak
The hose just came off my pump and it started spewing water everywhere. Luckily I was near the tank and shut it off quickly. Still had lots of water to clean up inside my stand and on my carpet.

Surely I'm not the first....

Any advice on how to keep the hose attached to the pump?

How about cleaning the carpet? Do I need to do anything special since it is salt water? Or can I just soak it up with a towel?

The hose just came off my pump and it started spewing water everywhere. Luckily I was near the tank and shut it off quickly. Still had lots of water to clean up inside my stand and on my carpet.

Surely I'm not the first....

Any advice on how to keep the hose attached to the pump?

How about cleaning the carpet? Do I need to do anything special since it is salt water? Or can I just soak it up with a towel?

If its rubber hose hooking up to a plastic nozzle(hopefully a ribbed nozzle) then use a stainless steel metal clamp. That's what I have and had 0 problems

Cleaning the carpet is another thing Lol sorry I'm not too sure, never had a massive spill before :/

I use industrial grade (or just really strong) zip ties. I too had a major leak, about 40 gallons flowed freely. I was in the other room wondering where that water noise was coming from....before I panicked.

both great ideas! I did a hose clamp..it sits above the water level, so I think it will be OK. Thinking I might do the rest of the connections. I've got a bag of zip ties, so couldn't hurt.

both great ideas! I did a hose clamp..it sits above the water level, so I think it will be OK. Thinking I might do the rest of the connections. I've got a bag of zip ties, so couldn't hurt.

I would go with nylon hose clamps. The metal ones will rust over time. I put 2 on each of mine. The zip tie sounds like a good idea, but the nylon hose clamps are removable if needed and are designed to do the job properly. Inexpensive so buy extras (the proper size) if you get them. Local hardware stores should have them. Leaks are one thing I dont play around with or rig!!

Back
Top Bottom