My First Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I done another test tonight and here are the results
-temp 78.6
-ammonia .25ppm
-nitrite 5.0ppm
-nitrate 80ppm
-sg 1.025

I am really worried about my nitrates. Should they be this high or should I be concerned about them at this point.

shimergloom26 said:
I done another test tonight and here are the results
-temp 78.6
-ammonia .25ppm
-nitrite 5.0ppm
-nitrate 80ppm
-sg 1.025

I am really worried about my nitrates. Should they be this high or should I be concerned about them at this point.

Perfectly normal. When the cycle is done you will be doing large water changes to get rid of the nitrates.

Well I went to my lfs today. I was just planning on window shopping until I seen there live rock. Long story short I bought a 30 pound piece that looked really great. I also let them talk me into trying out seachem's stability to cycle my tank faster. Here are a few pics of the live rock I bought and the tank with my halide on.

img_2012424_0_fa737fc320034d7bf39f25f461ff9f5a.jpg

img_2012424_1_981a9b0cdf44a71ecbfe585a11d33f9e.jpg

Sorry for the cloudyness I was cleaning the rocks with a turkey blaster.

shimergloom26 said:
Well I went to my lfs today. I was just planning on window shopping until I seen there live rock. Long story short I bought a 30 pound piece that looked really great. I also let them talk me into trying out seachem's stability to cycle my tank faster. Here are a few pics of the live rock I bought and the tank with my halide on.

Sorry for the cloudyness I was cleaning the rocks with a turkey blaster.

Great rock but just to let you know, the addition of that live rock will extend the cycle to some degree, either big or small depending on the amount of die-off.

Schism said:
Great rock but just to let you know, the addition of that live rock will extend the cycle to some degree, either big or small depending on the amount of die-off.

+1 always try and add all your "seeded or established" material in the very beginning to make the cycle go more smoothly

I have begun adding seachem's stability to my tank after I added the live rock. The stability will help my tank cycle faster. After I bought it from my lfs I came home and done research on it and from all of the people on different forums that have used it they say it really works and no one has had any problems with it. I will check my levels tonight and see if there has been any change in the parameters.

Well this is day 3 of using seachem's stability and my parameters are as follows.
-temp 79.4
-ammonia 0ppm
-nitrite 0ppm
-nitrate 80 pm
-Ph 8.0
-sg 1.025
I have done a 5 gallon water change and will pretest tonight. Maybe by Monday or Tuesday I can start stocking. My first three corals are going to be purple frogspawn, green frogspawn, and neon tip frogspawn. As far a fish go my first fish will be a pair of clowns after I get the corals settled for a week.

Back
Top Bottom