My first saltwater tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Avidon

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm basically starring from the ground up with this tank. I already have a Fluval 206 canister filter (upgrading to a larger one on my cichlid tank). I'm thinking a hoodless 20-25 gallon build.

From the beginning of this project, my goal was to have a lionfish. I like starfish and sea anemones to. I'll probably just stick with the lionfish and maybe one or two smaller fish.

My main concern is with lighting. I don't plan on having any corals to start with but I may work up to those in the future. Is fluorescent a good idea or will I want to do LEDs?

Well first off the lion fish would need at the very least a 40 breeder for a dwarf lion (probably pushing it) and 100+for the larger lions. T5's are ok for coral high output are better, but LEDs are cheaper in the long haul. And canister filters aren't the best for sw as they tend to trap detritus and become a nitrate trap I would go with a skimmer instead

So I'm basically starring from the ground up with this tank. I already have a Fluval 206 canister filter (upgrading to a larger one on my cichlid tank). I'm thinking a hoodless 20-25 gallon build.

From the beginning of this project, my goal was to have a lionfish. I like starfish and sea anemones to. I'll probably just stick with the lionfish and maybe one or two smaller fish.

My main concern is with lighting. I don't plan on having any corals to start with but I may work up to those in the future. Is fluorescent a good idea or will I want to do LEDs?

That size tank isn't big enough for even the smallest lionfish species. Also, lions and small fish don't do well lol, the small fish usually end up meals. Anemones need a mature tank (8-12 months old) and strong lighting. Also, most starfish species are very hard to keep long term in our closed systems. A serpent of brittle star would be your best bet. That filter will need to be cleaned pretty regularly too as canisters can become nitrate traps. If you want a fish only with live rock tank to start you can use any light you want to start

A protein skimmer? Would I substitute a canister filter for the skimmer alone?

Well first off the lion fish would need at the very least a 40 breeder for a dwarf lion (probably pushing it) and 100+for the larger lions. T5's are ok for coral high output are better, but LEDs are cheaper in the long haul. And canister filters aren't the best for sw as they tend to trap detritus and become a nitrate trap I would go with a skimmer instead

+1
The skimmer and live rock will filter the tank fine alone. Also, look into using ro/di water

I will probably just buy salt water from my local fish store. Or I couldn mix my own water. I have a water softener in my house so do I not have to worry about buying RO water?

Ya a skimmer and power heads or wave makers blowing the water over your rocks is the best filtration for sw. If you have a hob filter laying around you can use that as well for a little surface agitation and a place to run media if you need it. There are tons of mods for the larger aqua clears ( 70 & 110)

I will probably just buy salt water from my local fish store. Or I couldn mix my own water. I have a water softener in my house so do I not have to worry about buying RO water?

You can use the store water but if you're gonna mix yourself you will need an ro unit. That softener won't remove dissolved solids like an ro unit

Ya a skimmer and power heads or wave makers blowing the water over your rocks is the best filtration for sw. If you have a hob filter laying around you can use that as well for a little surface agitation and a place to run media if you need it. There are tons of mods for the larger aqua clears ( 70 & 110)

What's a hob filter?

Hang on back. And make sure your using ro/di not just ro. Really what you want is 0 tds ( total dissolved solids)

if your thinking about putting a lion fish with a few small fish.... then expect the next day only to find just the lion fish

How much can I expect to spend on a protein skimmer? And can I go without the hob filter?

Back
Top Bottom