My Noobness coming out...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so everytime I have cycled a tank I used a damsel or 2 yea its mean... whatever. Anyway, Trying not to go that route this time with the 10G. I thought using established LR with some filter media and sand from my main tank would cycle it but its been over a week or more and amm is only at .25 with no nitrite and no nitrate... Last night I threw a frozen mysis shrimp cube in hoping it will help. Was that a good or bad idea? lol.

I just thought of something. Some of the rock has a yellow sponge growing all over it. It is dying off cause it was exposed to air for like 45 minutes im guessing. Some of it has turned white. Thats probably where the ammonia is coming from. It probably doesnt need to cycle since the LR is so established. Should I throw a CUC in there to clean it up or wait?

Either will work. In reality, the CUC consumes stuff and poops it out no matter what. I'd keep it in there and track the progression of ammonia. If it spikes and vanishes is under 24 hours then you are cycled.

Well I set the tank up 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Ive thrown pinches on pellets in it a few times and a frozen nysis shrimp cube about 4 days ago. Added very established live rock over a week ago. I think I had .25 amm about 5 days ago I tested today and I have 0 amm 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. I don't know if it cycled or not...

Back
Top Bottom