My Plan, Please view and comment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am considering eventually turning my malawi tank into a marine tank.
The tank is 36, 12, 18 inches this is approximately 33 gals (US) or 29 gals (uk). I have begun doing my research.

How many ibis of sand will I need for a tank this size ?
Would this be ok ?

http://www.aquariumguys.com/marinesand.html

The tank already consists of tufa rock and also some oceanic rock.
I am not sure how much live rock I will purchase but I can tell you that it will not be much!

I will add fake ornaments of corals etc .... and may even get some anemone's.

Would a protein skimmer like this be ok?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20758&item=7704206979&rd=1

I need to purchase a hardometer, wich i can at my local store. There is already a internal filter in the tank, which has a strong current outlet. I also would add a powerhead at the other end of the tank for some more current.

I would obviously need salt mix. I already have the heater as well.

This is the tank that might eventually (long time) turn into a saltwater.

The lees skimmer has a good reputation (for an airstone skimmer). I would not however use one. I would get another skimmer such as a HOT skimmer for your tank such as a cpr or a prizm. I have a prizm and am happy with its output. As far as sand it depends on how much you want and for what purpose. Two bags should be plenty for that tank. Depending on the output of your filter you may need two powerheads for this tank...

Good luck.

There is a sand calculator in the calculator link at the top of the page. You can also save money if you can find the aragnite playsand that is in several threads on here. I would stay away from the fake decor personally. Use that money to buy more LR. The fake decorations will just get covered with algae and settlement and have to be cleaned. HTH

I'm jealous of your home depot sand. Soooooo much cheaper and you can seed it with just a little live sand from someone elses tank or a small 10 pound bag from a LFS.
As for the amount of sand, about 1lb per gallon should do it.
The CPR bak-pak 2 is what most people swear by unless you go expensive.

Don't skimp on the skimmer. Between LR and the skimmer, this will be your best filtration and cleaning.
Always go with a bigger size than what the manufactuer suggests for the skimmer. For your tank, I would second the CPR bak-pak as well.

Mike

They might not have HD in England.....
LR IMO is very important and one thing you should not skimp on. Using a cheap skimmer is fine if thats all you can afford, but you will have to make up for the lack of performance by doing water changes.

I am use to doing water changes once or twice a week so I am not really bothered about that lol.

Back
Top Bottom