My REDSEA max /first SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. Have you ever seen the bright well aquatics stuff before? This is my first time trying it. It's in huge cubes

I can make the tank dirty!!!!!
I've got bottles of phytofeast and oyster feast !!!!!

Ok. Have you ever seen the bright well aquatics stuff before? This is my first time trying it. It's in huge cubes I can make the tank dirty!!!!! I've got bottles of phytofeast and oyster feast !!!!!

Did the corals turn south after you started using this filter media?

Not at all. The last coral. Which just happens to be the problem one was added after the media change. About 2 weeks after. I left 85% of the old media in the cartridge just to prevent a bacteria removal situation

I think I have an issue?? The calcium us currently sitting around 500 ppm according to my test.

Is this an issue. What will likely occur due to this?

Also. New buddy yesterday ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402097429.982950.jpg
Yellow flower pot !
Dump an entire bottle of tigger pods in the tank. Hoping to establish that food source for the system over time

Goniopora(flowerpot) is difficult at best to keep alive in our low nutrient systems. Require skimmerless tank and constant target feeding with small micron foods like phytoplankton.

As for calcium. I would retest. And test alk as well. 500 is high but not critical. Just don't want to go higher than that. How did it get that high? What are you dosing?

Seachem. Liquid calcium "with magnesium". It suggest X amount weekly. I do that amount half as frequently
I've been turning my skimmer off for a while each day. I have a lot f filter feeders that Seem to suffer from it removing everything

Seachem. Liquid calcium "with magnesium". It suggest X amount weekly. I do that amount half as frequently
I've been turning my skimmer off for a while each day. I have a lot f filter feeders that Seem to suffer from it removing everything

Don't dose what you don't test for. Without a heavy bioload of lps and sps corals weekly wc will be fine to keep levels up in your tank.

With only the flower pot coraline and crustaceans to use the calcium. (If the levels match after a retest) when should I expect to start seeing changes in the levels???

Do a few wc's and stop dosing and they'll come down. Stealing mr_x's saying here but " the solution to the problem is dilution". When in doubt, do a wc.

Gunna try my hand with a goniopora
Since I have a few filter feeding corals I'm putting the skimmer on a timer.
Off 1/2 on 1/2 of the day
At 1-2 hour intervals. So the water keeps oxygenated Bad idea god idea?
Been feeding phytofeast and oyster feast. They all seem to love it

Between feeding. Correcting alk and just dirtying up the water with good the anthelia/Xenia have perked up a lot!
Can't wait til tax season haha.

Anyone have experience with this species of goniopora

Water test- water change-water test planned for this afternoon. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402320242.123452.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402344476.213125.jpg
Nitrates creeping up!!
Also. Calcium still around 520ppm
And alk got over compensated and is over 13. Hopefully nothing goes crazy and dies ....

Did a 5 gallon WC.
Doing another tommorrow
(Bc I have I mix it first)
Hopefully we can get those levels down!

Nitrates came down a bit.
Between the water change and media change.
Ph is stable.
Calcium has dropped to around 420
Alk was at 9.9 yesterday

Dosed 1/4 amount of alk retesting after work
Dosing calcium after work

Seems as though the seriatopora birdsnest frag and. Goniopora are sucking down nutrients hard. This is exciting.

One problem though.
Just notice a small aiptasia on the seriatopora frag plug. It's made a small hole for itself and retreats inside when I use te lemon juice.
Gunna entomb it in super glue
Update to follow

Aiptasia was entombed in super glue!
I'll keep watching the plug to make sure it's good though.
Also. Is it normal for birdsnest to suck down calcium and alk???

If it is large enough, yes. However calcium does not seem to drop as quick as alk ime. My tank is pretty loaded with sps frags/mini colonies and lps colonies and my alk drops a lot daily but calcium only drops a little daily.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402703507.789594.jpg
Found these clips on some of my extra medical supplies that expires
Works great for controlling drip rates for dosing and acclimating!!!

Back
Top Bottom