my star fish having strange behavior lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan1520

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys so i have notice one of my star fish having strange behavior lately. he has been hanging on the glass awkward. yesterday i found him upside down with all legs curled back. he seems to be going down hill fast. i set him on a rock to see if he was alive and eventually he started moving but the ended up on a rock upside down again. usually when one of the two chocolate chip star fish get upside down the turn them selves over but this one has not seemed to. Lately he has been next to the glass in a really awkward position. Is he dying? i went to the LFS and had my water tested just in case maybe my tests weren't accurate and he said my water was great. i don't know what to do. he is barely moving now and seems to be getting worse and worse. is this usual behavior?

Attachments

• IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0601.jpg
    IMG_0601.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0603.jpg
    IMG_0603.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 214
Does his skin seem to be getting loose or wrinkling. He could just be falling off the glass or rock. Is this a pretty new tank? If it is then you`ll need to put something in there for him to eat. It`s recommended that they go in a tank at least a year old.

It is not a new tank. has been running for several years. i tried feeding him directly but he didn't eat anything. The other star fish seems to be fine. it looks like the tips of his skin have deteriorated? there are some white spots instead of black. i just got back from work this morning he was next to the glass and this time he was upside down with some sand over him prob from the clown fish burrowing. i pulled him out and set him on the sand and he doesn't seem to be moving...although he did the same thing yesterday and seemed to come back. but he is all closed up and it looks like some of his skin has come off...what would cause this? old age? at this time i'm honestly not sure if hes alive since he is all closed up and i can't see any of his tentacles moving... not really sure what to do at this point and how long i should leave him in the tank.

heres a pic. i hadn't noticed the white until today when i got back from work.

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpg
    IMG_0605.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 257
yes i have a condy anemone, a red banded shrimp, 5 hermit crabs, 5 snails, a sea urchin, and another chocolate chip star fish who is doing fine. After my last post i went back to work and when i got home he was actually on the glass again. i managed to feed him a small piece of food. which he moved over and ate. but now he has been in the same spot for over 24 hours and has not moved one bit. I'm not sure what to do this point and again where he hasn't moved in 24 hours i'm not sure if hes still alive or how to tell. I know this may be a stupid question but how do i know if he is still alive and how long do i wait before i pull him from the tank. and also what do you do with a dead chocolate chip starfish? i really hope he is still alive but i'm not so sure at this point.

Back
Top Bottom