my system might be crashing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armt350

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok heres the setup, is a 29 gal bowfront, with a 2 inch deep crushed coral sand bed and about 20kg of rock. I did the fishless cycle starting on the 11th of october. Last week (nov 7) i was reading:
PH 8.2 temp 76
ammonia 0.0
nitrite 0
nitrates 10

So I figured the cycle was done as this is exactly how my last 2 SW tanks reacted and added 3 hermit crabs, 3 turbo snails, and 2 small clowns. Today I measured again and now i'm reading:
PH 8.2 Temp 76
ammonia 0.25-0.5ppm
nitrite 0
nitrates 5

this is the first time I have ever seen my ammonia spike back up like this. Am I overreacting or do I need to get the fish out into my quaranteen tank?

By the way when i put the fish in I also started turning my lighting on and attached the sponge filters to the JBL 100 powerhead/filter. I have not been skimming in this tank yet and up until now there were no filter pads in the canisters. I have carbon canisters i can use as well if need be.
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to AA!

I would do the tests again. If the fish are acting normal, I wouldn't worry.
I noticed you nitrates dropped in half. Did you do a 50% water change?

Sad to admit, I have been trolling here for quite some time. I did a 25% water change yesterday. The fish are acting normal, and the test results are the same. Whats the shelf life on test kits anyways, That could possibly be the culprit. the PH test is new, but i have had my nitrite and nitrate kits for a little over 6 months and theres no telling how long the LFS had them.

Take a water sample to your LFS and get him to double check your water results.

Due to work and the fact that i'm 1.5hrs from my LFS i'm out of luck until thursday.

About the only thing I can think of was adding 3 fish to a newer tank. Like the rest said, keep up with the PWCs and your biological filter should catch up with the new bioload.

Back
Top Bottom