My tank has no lid, any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prince

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I again, I have a 55gal tank that I got for free, problem is, there was no lid at all, at at the time of me setting it up and everything I didn't know at all how important a lid was.

~question is how and where can I get a lid for my tank?

~I have a aqualung t5 light source is it even possible to have a lid with that light set up?

Thanks in advance.

Glass canopy ftw it's what I have on mine. Most lfs carry them or can order that way if it doesn't fit you can return it

I go open top... I hear there is better gas exchange that way. I run a netting top to keep the jumpers in :cool:

Benamayer said:
I go open top... I hear there is better gas exchange that way. I run a netting top to keep the jumpers in :cool:

Ooo really this netting protecting, is it easy to get? Any pet store or regular store sells them? Or is it a custom job??

Prince said:
Ooo really this netting protecting, is it easy to get? Any pet store or regular store sells them? Or is it a custom job??

Usually custom... I built mine from wood and netting, but it's falling apart lol 8-( There's a kit
you can buy from bulkreefsupply.com costs probably $40 ish...

Benamayer said:
Usually custom... I built mine from wood and netting, but it's falling apart lol 8-( There's a kit
you can buy from bulkreefsupply.com costs probably $40 ish...

Aaahhh ok nice nice, ps your tank is sweet looking, awesome live rock.

Thanks! It actually looks a bit different now that I had to go and make a couple "adjustments"... Actually upgrading to a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon sump shortly. But staying on topic, your light most likely won't work with a lid anyways. Some people get glass or plexiglass custom cut to their
top, but I've come to understand the benefits of an open top, like gas exchange and beneficial light coming through.. Plus I actually like the look of it better (other than having a full blown canopy)...

Benamayer said:
Thanks! It actually looks a bit different now that I had to go and make a couple "adjustments"... Actually upgrading to a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon sump shortly. But staying on topic, your light most likely won't work with a lid anyways. Some people get glass or plexiglass custom cut to their
top, but I've come to understand the benefits of an open top, like gas exchange and beneficial light coming through.. Plus I actually like the look of it better (other than having a full blown canopy)...

Yea you have appoint, I do like it without and looks nice, I keep hearing the water will evaporate a lot faster thou, will that become a problem?? If it is true that is.

Prince said:
Yea you have appoint, I do like it without and looks nice, I keep hearing the water will evaporate a lot faster thou, will that become a problem?? If it is true that is.

Yea I mean you will get evap. It's inevitable. BUT, think about all that salt building up on the underside of a lid... All that you will need to clean, plus it will significantly block lighting over time. You will see, check out the underside of your lights after a few weeks... They need to be cleaned. And just think about if it were only a couple inches off the surface of the water. Would get pretty messy. Topping off evaporated water is part of the hobby. You will have to get used to doing it every couple days depending.

You can get adequate gas exchange if your are utilizing a sump and a closed top wont make that much of a difference. I keep lids on my tank w/ a fuge & have zero gas problems.

Keithhjs said:
You can get adequate gas exchange if your are utilizing a sump and a closed top wont make that much of a difference. I keep lids on my tank w/ a fuge & have zero gas problems.

Right, if there's a sump. I agree. Otherwise, you do prevent gas exchange.

Prince said:
I again, I have a 55gal tank that I got for free, problem is, there was no lid at all, at at the time of me setting it up and everything I didn't know at all how important a lid was.

~question is how and where can I get a lid for my tank?

~I have a aqualung t5 light source is it even possible to have a lid with that light set up?

Thanks in advance.

Unless your not planning on getting an eel then you should be fine :)) learned from experience

Back
Top Bottom