My tank will never be clear :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ali-fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
The live sand I bought for my tank has white dust or clay or very fine white particles (whatever the name is) that any small disturbance like wiping the glass or Mr. Goby guy plays around and shuffles the sand will cause turbidity in the water. I couldn't rinse the sand when I got it as it is live sand and this might kill the good bacteria. I tried filtering by powerhead filter bottle of water and a sponge but the particles are too small to be trapped (see the picture please)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412709353.263804.jpg

I was thinking to add a thin layer of aggregate but am afraid of waste accumulation. A friend of mine suggest to purposely disturb the sand and change the sponge from the sump every three hours. But this is not a good solution to stress the fish and myself over something that might take a week or more. Changing the sand is the least preferable option for me but if there is no other option for crystal clear water except changing the sand. Ill change it.

Here is a picture of my tank at the best condition.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412709705.581037.jpg

Any suggestion ?

It is always nice to believe that am a fish too .. For at least an hour each time

The live sand I bought for my tank has white dust or clay or very fine white particles (whatever the name is) that any small disturbance like wiping the glass or Mr. Goby guy plays around and shuffles the sand will cause turbidity in the water. I couldn't rinse the sand when I got it as it is live sand and this might kill the good bacteria. I tried filtering by powerhead filter bottle of water and a sponge but the particles are too small to be trapped (see the picture please)
View attachment 252168

I was thinking to add a thin layer of aggregate but am afraid of waste accumulation. A friend of mine suggest to purposely disturb the sand and change the sponge from the sump every three hours. But this is not a good solution to stress the fish and myself over something that might take a week or more. Changing the sand is the least preferable option for me but if there is no other option for crystal clear water except changing the sand. Ill change it.

Here is a picture of my tank at the best condition.

View attachment 252169

Any suggestion ?

It is always nice to believe that am a fish too .. For at least an hour each time

if it looks like the second picture i wouldnt worry, im sure over time all will be well. Sweet scape btw

if it looks like the second picture i wouldnt worry, im sure over time all will be well. Sweet scape btw

Before adding the fish, it was soo clear. But as I told you if the goby or wrasse fish shuffles the sand the water becomes milky.

See this picture before adding any fish.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412712068.292252.jpg

And thanks, am glad you like the scape

¥====¥

It sticks together a bit better once a healthy amount of bacteria grows in it.

My tank is 3 months old with almost no fish lives on it and it didn't stick together. Do you think now after adding some fish that disturb it the sand will stick?

========

when i set up my 90g it was a big cloud almost 6 months , i threw 2 hobs on it till it cleared it took about a week now it sparkles , my fish still kick up sand but it settles fairly fast

when i set up my 90g it was a big cloud almost 6 months , i threw 2 hobs on it till it cleared it took about a week now it sparkles , my fish still kick up sand but it settles fairly fast

Can you please tell me what did you do exactly?

========

just hung 2 hob filters packed with poly fiber changed out daily nothing else till it cleared up

just hung 2 hob filters packed with poly fiber changed out daily nothing else till it cleared up

Ok, ill try this soon when I got everything is ready ?

========

Back
Top Bottom