Nano Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickeybags

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
I've been thinking about starting a nano reef tank. However I have zero knowledge about saltwater aquariums. I was wondering what was the smallest I could go with it and what goes into it. I don't have to have fish in it I would be happy with just the corals

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That depends...it depends on what all you are wanting to keep in the tank in terms of corals. This then will depend the lighting that you'd want.
Personally, I would go as big as you possibly can. I say this not because of any fish, but because I have filled a 37 gallon with coral...this then became a 55 that has now become filled with coral...

I saw on YouTube people having 5-10 gallon reef tanks. I didn't think that was possible. If it is I would like to something like that. I really know nothing about reef tanks and would like to find out if I could do it.

It's definitely possible but what hank is saying you'll be wanting a bigger tank soon enough so it's just a good idea to go as big as you can originally.

I'm in a dorm room so I can't really go big for the next 3 years. I've been keeping a freshwater tank in there fine with no problems. I want to know if it's possible and what I would need to do a 5 gallon reef tank.

It's possible, but if it's your first tank I would go with at least a 10. Pretty much the same price to set up and a little easier to keep things in check. As for what you'll need, read through some threads from the nano reef sub forum and you should get a pretty good idea of what you'll need, I go through the set up of my 10 in my thread "operation clown goby rescue" pretty thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom