Nano Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A decent selection, they can be picky and diffrent types of hermits go for diffrent types of shells

Yes, anything you need for freshwater, your gonna need for saltwater. Saltwater is a bit more difficult then freshwater

At petco/petsmart, they have land hermits. Would I be able to use those? Could blue leg hermits work? Do the painted shells that they come with need to be removed? How do the hermits and Pom poms molt?

Can't use land hermits, diffrent species. Blue legs will work, don't use painted shells at all. You'll have to get reef hermits

Seriously though, before you go to purchase any equipment and such. Def read up on the basics of saltwater, it's not like fresh and it's rather difficult for beginners to get into, espically if it's a nano. A reef tank can be a lot of chemistry and such
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fishlore.com/amp/SaltwaterAquariumSetup-amp.htm

Yes, I am going to restrain myself from going crazy and not cycling my tank. As this is my first saltwater tank, I find it difficult to spend 15-20 dollars for a single Pom Pom crab or Sexy shrimp. Are there other crabs and shrimp that will go along with my hermits that are really low price?

Not really, saltwater is pretty expensive. And then you are stuck with the nano species, cause it's so little

Personally I order from liveaquria online, and has how things molt. They usually go into hiding and you won't see them for a few days.

Well right now they are doing a special, anything over 99$ ships free and when you have a 75g reef tank, it's not hard to spend 100$ if I'm shopping for corals (like zoas mainly) I go on eBay and pay 15$

If only shipping were free... So, no other shrimp or crabs would work?

Reefcleaners has great deals on cucs of snails and hermits but I believe it's a bit more shipping for the crabs. If you think $15-20 is a lot for a sw creature you may want to rethink sw. Just be aware it is a lot more expensive than fresh.

You can find peppermint shrimp usually for like $5-6 but they're not really cool imo. Cleaners go for like $40. Coral banded are usually $8-10 but get large and aggressive. I have a pair of gold dwarf coral bandits who are super chill but hide a lot. I believe they cost me $40 for the pair. But yeah most shrimp are in the $20-40 range. Sexies are usually $10 a piece but you want a colony of them and they tend to do better with corals/nems in their tank.

I'm willing to spend that much, but I want to save money on tanks.

Gotcha! I'm assuming you don't have an lfs that specializes in marine life?

I do. I can't remember the name. Theres another one that's both salt and fresh that I love. Would you mind telling me a lot of the saltwater shrimp. Sorry to keep bringing this up. I will NOT overstock on this tank. Promise.

What do you mean a lot of the sw shrimp? Like about them or what kinds there are?

I am so sorry for my STUPID questions! Thank you for sticking with me!

Back
Top Bottom