Nano Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How should I cure live rock?do I just toss it in? Or does it need to acclimate

So there are 2 differenct things.

Curing dying off of old organisms and getting the stone clean then cycling building beneficial bacteria living in the rock.

I used the fresh LS fom the bag no need to cure for that. And then the already cured and LR from the lfs. Driven less than an hour home once was in wet newspaper and a couple times with stone in a bag of water.

So due to getting the older rock from the lfs for a nano tank, and already having it be cleaned, cured and coming with beneficial bacteria, I just put it right in and waited 2-3 weeks to make sure it was BB active and was cycling the fish food I fed the tank every other day.

That is why I said you need to know how long the rock has been in the tank at the lfs.

I saw the employees drop in a big box of rock into the near empty end of the rock tanks while I was looking around one day. Then about 40 minutes later someone was buying that same "live rock" not really live rock, from the tubs.

Went to a SW lfs last week and there was a sign next to the tanks stating that they were not guaranteed Live.

When I started mine, I did have conversations with the specific employee about which stones in the SW fish tanks were there and for how long and in the big rock cycling tanks which were the ones there the longest and how long. To be sure I was really getting LIVE BB filled live rock That first tank was ready fast like 10 days I was comfortable with the numbers. (It was really lessdays but I wanted to be sure.)

I have done this a few ways now with the nano tanks. The last one (12G) was seeded with LR from my little tank and from the lfs but I had a bunch of dry rock from my old tank and had to wait a long while to get the cycling strong.

Can supplies used for a freshwater tank be used for this tank?

A turkey baster used as a gravel vacuum. Should I bleach my tank before using it as a reef?

A tank that size will never support an urchin there is only enough food for one urchin to thrive in my 6x2x2 !!!

It will only be able to house hitchhiker starfish as in asterina starfish a local reefer will happily give you some of them I end up throwing quite a few of them out in mine so someone will be happy to pass you some.

Keeping parameters good and nutrient levels in such a small tank is going to be a headache.

You won't ever be able to have an anemone in there it's to small and will never be stable enough.

You are VERY limited due to the size on the tank the Beta be better of in that small tank and use the big one you getting for that turn into a salt water tank.

As you are converting a freshwater tank to marine if that tank has ever had cooper in in it corals and inverts will not like that at all you will have to make sure you clean it properly but if it has seen copper chances are some will remain.

The person who I am doing the 75 with has said absolutely no saltwater. The only sw tank I can do is that one

How often should I check parameters and clean the tank

If you don't mind could you make a list of everything I would need. Corals, supplies, inverts.

Should I use a turkey baster to suck up waste and muck at the bottom of the tank

Back
Top Bottom