nano setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, we went out and bought the Mrs. a minibow 5 over the weekend. Put in a 19 watt screw in compact florescent(6500K), LS, LR and a heater. Instant, tiny reef. I even added an extra moonlight :) Looks nice.

I have been tossng the idea around about a frag tank for a 10 gal and now I wonder if something like this would work for it. I can get a 10 gal hood that supports 2 incandescent bulbs. Coralife makes 20 watt 50/50 screw in compact florescents. I could have 40 watts over a 10 gal, pretty cheap. This is about the same price as a 28 watt fixture and has more light.

Would leathers, shrooms and zoos be ok with this?

Any thoughts?

You can actually get mogul based PC bulbs that would be brighter and less yellow than incadecent bulbs. You would be fine with something like that for softies for sure. I tried the mogul PC's on my 5 gal for a time with good success but eventually switched it to a 2x9 w PC light. With the 10 gal, you should still be fine with mogul based lighting but I would still consider the PC version over the incadecents.

Cheers
Steve

The mogul based PC lighting was what I was trying to say. It would screw into the incandescent fixture and are internally ballasted. Do you think the longevity of a bulb like this would be equivalent to the PC or is that a shortcoming?

I have seen a 40 watt orbit or current model and Drsfosters has a 36 watt pretty cheap. I have seen alot of people go with a 96 power quad on a 10. Seems nuts :)

I was just kinding of looking to throw it together. I really don't want to build a canopy and such but I have seen some nice ones done on a 10 gal. :lol:

ellisz said:
Do you think the longevity of a bulb like this would be equivalent to the PC or is that a shortcoming?
The bulb lasts a decent amount of time and has better coverage than an incadecent. The shortcoming is the bulb will yellow faster than a typical PC. Instead of getting 6-9 months, you'll only get about 4-6 before the spectrum shifts so much you will be forced to swap the bulbs.

I have seen a 40 watt orbit or current model and Drsfosters has a 36 watt pretty cheap. I have seen alot of people go with a 96 power quad on a 10.
True there are alot of options but only limited by tank length really. I don't blame you for not wanting to DIY, it can be a pain but you should be able to get a successful reef going with standard equip. The 96w quad would definately allow for more diversity of corals but keep in mind the more species types you add the more maintenance it will need. I kept my nano's softy only for that reason which also meant the extra step in the lightting could be avoided. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

I kept my nano's softy only for that reason which also meant the extra step in the lightting could be avoided.
That is exactly where I am at :) I really just want something to hold frags when need be and something in the office to look at.

Thanks Steve!

You can do what I did for my 10, Its a DIY but really easy. I went to homedepot and picked up a ballest for those round floresent bulbs( I can get the info on it if you want) for about $12.00 then went to a LFS and bought a 32w 50/50 PC and put it all in the stock 10gal hood. It took me about 1 hour to do if you want more info on it Ill give it to you no problem

Back
Top Bottom