Nano Tank Pictures at 10 weeks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MKFMedic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi Everyone!

I promised a few pictures so here are some with an update on my Nano Tank which was started about 10 weeks ago. So far, so good. My water parameters all seem to be holding steady, my fish and coral all seem to be healthy and it has been a real joy to have this tank in my office. I must say that I probably stare at the tank more than I watch T.V.! Sorry about the quality of the pics, these are all hand held in a dark room.

I have the 12 gal JBJ Nano DX. I threw out the stock filter media (Sponges, bio balls, and ceramic rings) and replaced it with a rack using filter floss, chem pure and purigen in the first chamber, keeping activated charcoal in the second. I added a Hydor Kryola Nano power head to increase water flow. I have noticed in the last few weeks that hard pinkish spots are showing up on the back panel and on some of the live rock. It appears to be coraline algae and it is also visible on the powerhead.

I have a wide variety in my clean up crew which seems to do a great job keeping my reef clean. The CUC includes a variety of crabs including 2 emeralds, and three hermits. I have a fire shrimp which just molted, and a variety of snails including two nassarius, two turbo, and a couple of others that I can't recall their names. My fish include a Percula, a Watchman Goby and a Purple Fire Fish. As you can see in the pictures I have quite a variety of soft coral pieces that all seem to be doing well.

I test the water frequently and have been very consistent with weekly water changes. I try not to disturb the sand bed if at all possible. I have noticed that in the back right corner there has been some red? algae growth on a small area of the sand, so I remove that with the water changes. I move the power head to see if I can get better circulation to that part of the tank and hopefully it might help.

Something new that I have noticed is the addition of several small white ant looking creatures crawling all over my coral. I have no idea what they are, so any help would be appreciated. I would try to take a picture, but they are tiny.

Thanks for looking, for all of the great advice and support I have received in my new adventure. It is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1807.jpg
    IMG_1807.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1810.jpg
    IMG_1810.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1811.jpg
    IMG_1811.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1813.jpg
    IMG_1813.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Something new that I have noticed is the addition of several small white ant looking creatures crawling all over my coral. I have no idea what they are, so any help would be appreciated. I would try to take a picture, but they are tiny.

Mike

I would agree with the copepods. I have them too - both white and green little ant-like bugs. I'm pretty sure they're ok. Nice tank (y)

Back
Top Bottom