Nassarius snails and blue leg hermits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AR15 guy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would the hermits eat the snails? I know they may attack them for their shells but I have a bunch of spare shells now. I have some turbo snails but they are not doing much of anything. I would like something else to clean up the sand and glass. Could I keep nassarius snails and blue leg hermits?

it can happen, but you lessen the chances by having extra shells.
Its really all you can do.
I keep nassarius snails and blue leg hermits?
Yes, but I also have a few nassarius hermits running around too. :wink:

I figured it could happen. One of my turbo snails keeps falling off the glass and laying on the bottom. I think it may be dieing. I am going to go get some dried seaweed today and see if that helps.

Yes, but I also have a few nassarius hermits running around too.

I hear that. If the hermit sees a shell it likes, then...well in a few minutes it will have it. :wink:

Provide plenty of extra shells for the hermits, although this hasn't seemed to lessen the agression of mine. Good thing that when I ordered my Nassirus snails (from ebay) they sent me double the amount. :roll:

It happens. The other day I noticed a hermit crab in one of those shells. It was kind of upsetting, but that's life.

How much LR is in your 10 gallon? I have 5 now but I am adding about 8-10lbs of hirocks.com's base rock whenever it comes in. Hopefully today or tomorrow. Rest of the order is going in my 38 gallon. Along with 30-40lbs or LR.com's rock. Just need more money.

hermits and they killed all of my Banded Trochus snails
That was when I decided to ditch all of mine, and just have snails and a serpent star(s). FWIW, I think not having hermits has allowed my mini-star population to explode- and they are always hungry lol.

Nassirus snails spend 95% of their life under the sand. Mine only surface at feeding time. Therefore less succeptible to be harrassed for a new house. :evil:

Very often it's not the hermit crabs killing the snails, but cleaning up the dead bodies of the snails from elevated nitrates or another reason.

My blue legged and scarlet hermits live happily with my astrea and nassarius snails. I've really not lost many, but I have a bunch of extra shells.

Very often it's not the hermit crabs killing the snails, but cleaning up the dead bodies
I would have to disagree w/ saying "very often". IMO/IME, at best, it's a 50/50 shot that the snail was actually dead/dieing before the hermit got it. I still have all 3 of the banded trochus snails I had left when I pulled the hermits from my sytem about 4-5 months after getting into the hobby. I'm not a fan of hermit crabs incase you couldn't tell lol- replacing/finding decorative snails is a PITA...

Back
Top Bottom