Native tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daveness123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all. I was just wondering would it be possible to run a native tank.

I live in the uk and live 10 mins walk to the beach. Just wondered if it would be as simple as going down the beach and grabbing some rocks sand and water then setting up a tank. I ask because I have a spare tank and love our local sealife would be nice to have it indoors plus water changes would be easier because I can run to the beach and grab a bucket full of water.

Thanks for any help.

Wouldn't room temperature be ok? It would be like summer all year round then.
Thanks for the reply

You sure can, just get the water when it's high tide and clean.i have one and I avoid getting water when we have heavy rain runoff or high seas, you know your area and when it's best.good luck

Our water round here is quite muddy is there anything I could do do make it clear?

Filtration in your tank should remove the particles. Just the pollution in the water could be a problem in a closed system. But if your using local fish in the area it should work. Just check the laws for your area don't want to see you get fined for removing stuff here you need a fishing license. Won't know if you don't try.

I might fill the spare tank and see what temperature it stays at after a week. I've been see fishing many times and haven't been told I need a fishing licence so I assumed you never needed one.

I'm in Hastings and there plenty of rock pools to get my inverts from

Any idea on the kind of rock I would be looking for? Would the uk have an equivalent of live rock and would it need to cycle?

Thanks for the replies by the way I take it your from the uk mullet?

You will still probably need a chiller. I doubt the wAter gets above room temperature over there. Also I'd look into regulations on collecting from the wild. While you may or may not need a license to fish, you may need one to collect certain species.

Biotopes like this aren't very common, but can be really cool. They normally require a huge amount of research to find things that will do well in the size of tank you have and if you are trying to do FOWLR or 'reef'-style.
The regulations around you will also be important, as bribo stated, since it is illegal in many areas to just go and start grabbing stuff from the beach and ocean. It depends on where you are on what is ok and what isn't. In Hawaii, the fines are pretty hefty and can even include jail time if I remember correctly. So please look into this before starting the project.
Here is a quick link to one of the early biotope tanks I read about. Real quick read and might give you some ideas.
Jacob Dixon’s Puget Sound biotope is a cool as it is awesome

Thanks for the advice guys. Ill ask the relevant people to see what I can grab and what I can't and keep posted here. If all goes well pictures aswell

I would make your own water, but other than that think it sounds like a cool idea

Any idea on the kind of rock I would be looking for? Would the uk have an equivalent of live rock and would it need to cycle?

Thanks for the replies by the way I take it your from the uk mullet?

No S. Fla the other side of the pond. Are water is a little warmer.

Back
Top Bottom