Neat modern looking/different looking 20 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*gulp* out of a 13 year old's price range. :) but yeah something like that,

Yeah I love rimless tanks. It's just Idream you know how that one has a square shape, where do you find light fixtures and what not to fit it?

They both have square shapes :D

Depends on what you want to go with, you could do a MH pendant from fishneedit.com, depending on size you could do T5HOs, or even LEDs

Seeing as how this is FW, if you went planted you could do a T5HO from fishneedit... if it's not planted, then a cheap LED fixture would do the trick and still look sleek... IMO

Hm... I wanted to try a native fish tank, but after seeing all those corals at the store I went to today I REALLY want a 20-29 gallon SW reef. Do you think biocubes are worth it? Or do you think it would just be cheaper or better finding what I need myself?

Whoops forgot I put this in the FW getting started section. (hey rook think you can move it to the SW getting started now?) :)

Last edited:
Im looking to get a RO/DI off eBay. Some time in the summer. (a 60$ dollar one I saw Carey got)

In the near future I want to definitely setup a nice 5 gallon planted tank. And then I'm done with tanks for a while. :D

I got a new 24 gallon 2x36 watt 50/50 10000k JBJ nano with stand, pump, moonlights for 210 dollars. Added 1 50/50 LED strip and an acitinic LED strip for more light/blues. As of now I've even been able to support SPS with this, though the main focus is on palythoas/zoas. It comes with bioballs and carbon, but I got rid of them and added fluval carbon and phosban, and also just added about 30 lbs of live rock.

A good bang for your buck :)

No, it was completely brand new. I was like, :O must get this! Was thinking about the HQI 28, but it was 280 more for 4 gallons and some brighter lights.

But yep. comes with a sleek stand (DIY ofc, lol) brand new. Got it from some online special and it was free shipping. Bet you could find it again w/ a google search.

I'm looking into JBJ cubes vs. Biocubes.

Last edited:
Not true. I added some LEDs and I'm sure that helped some, but as I said I have quite a bit under stock lights. Think about it, 2-5 watts per gallon is what most corals need, and that's 3 watts per gallon default right there. Mushrooms like less light, as do some others. I have Palys, Protopalys, Zoas, Sarcothelia, Pachyclavularia, and Montipora (at the very top of the tank, granted) with relatively little upgrades.

No mushrooms, but things like Actinodiscus prefer less light, which is why people with metal halides usually put them in shaded areas of their tank. They are 10000k lights, so they do support corals fine. You could go with the 28g HQI one for about 500 dollars, but you may need a chiller if it gets hot in your area (like it does mine).

Not all corals require intense lighting as you may have been told, just add more blues through LED strips to get a better appearance :)

There are beautiful corals that require no light at all, though these are challenging to keep. I hope one day to have a tank of Sclero and Dendroneptheas, IMO the most beautiful of corals though they are the most challenging.

I kind of want a JBJ cube because I saw one online for 250$. With stand. Cheaper than biocubes. What type of light upgrade would I need? I want to be able to keep zoas, frogspawns, an anemone, maybe a mushroom or two, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom