Need advice BEFORE I set up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bubbles are most likely Nitrogen gas Red-Brown looks like Cyano How much was she feeding once a day?

Shouldn't have been feeding too much. I have her trained on that! But I had started seeing cyano before I left. Definitely on walls on tank and on power heads. I scraped off a good bit when I got home, but the brown sand was new. Is the nitrogen bubbles a bad thing? Do I move the sand to release it? Maybe time for a few sand sifters of some sort?

The bubbles are from anerobic bacteria they strip the oxygen from nitrates and convert it to nitrogen gas. The bubbles will make there way through the sand and escape from the tank.
I would not disturb the sand bed at this point as you could cause a crash. Best thing to do is add some sand stirring snails (nassarius) or other sand sifters they will stir the sand slowly letting the tank adjust to the changes.
Feed a little less and/or increase your PWC's to help with the Cyano.

Cyano is out of control!!!!! I've read to increase flow, reduce feeding, reduce light times. Does it really ever go away? When I scrape the glass should I try to catch and remove the stuff that comes off?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Just pull out what you can. Cut down on feeding. More frequent water changes to get the nutrients in check. And increasing flow helps considerably.

Only bad things happen quickly in this hobby Your doing the right things it will take time just hang in there

Grizz..the pic is coming as soon as i can get some charge on my battery. Easier to type info on big keyboard though. I keep the glass scraped off daily, but the reddish brown in the pic is down low right next to the sandbed. I moved a powerhead today so the sand is really low in the spot where this pic is taken. Notice that the Mexican turbo snails really like to eat the stuff. They leave little tracks all through it. If I go 3-4 days without scraping the class, there will be a film of the stuff covering all of the walls of the tank.

The brown stuff on the sand that I posted a few posts up isn't there any more. Really just the glass that's the problem. It's pretty prevalent on my rocks too, but they aren't really scrapable. The second pic is a rock that was lying in a different position. I moved it during a recent water change and the bottom (now facing upward) was completely white. Now it is mostly the same brownish stuff that looks like the stuff on the glass. Probably took 3 weeks to get like this.

Been up and running 7months now. Have my own 5 stage RODI unit. Only have 3 small fish. Feed 4 or 5 flakes one time per day.

I think you're right, Grizz. I took a look at Reef Cleaners and this does look like diatoms. I haven't added any new rock or sand, but I do use a 32 gallon brute to mix my saltwater. Could that be the source of silicates?

It's possible, i'd lean towards the RO/DI filters How old are they? The Brute cans are known to leach Phosphates. Have you tested the tap water it may be loaded with silicates. I have city water and it shows 340 TDS It's filtered water for us

RODI unit is new. I think I finally got it installed in November. It has a TDS meter on it. Guess I should read it! I haven't checked the water from the tap. How would I go about that?

I use a hand held meter Check yours ideally it will read zero Your getting silicates from some where it could be from a rock even After 7 months they should have burned out.

I use a pump and clear tubing to put the water in from the Brute. Don't know what else the source could be.

Where go I get the TDS meter? And am I checking the tsp water, RODI water or both?

While at it.... What tests should I be running on my tank water other than the API master kit? (pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates )

Alk, calcium, phosphates are the main ones.

And you need to at least check water coming out of rodi and good to check tap water. Probably easiest with a dual inline TDS meter but you can get an inexpensive handheld pen tester on eBay.

Back
Top Bottom