Need advice BEFORE I set up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dead space view from front. You can see I've got rock going around into the space. Will anything ever use the space? Will fish go back into the cubbies or should I open it back up?

Attachments

• image-2914874279.jpg
    image-2914874279.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 100
Dead space view from front. You can see I've got rock going around into the space. Will anything ever use the space? Will fish go back into the cubbies or should I open it back up?

Ok i see it now :facepalm: i would leave it most people hide it with rock the way you did over time it will get covered with coraline algae and will blend in

Hermits are good they are part of your CUC, Clean Up Crew they will eat any left over food/dead stuff just be sure to put some extra shells in there or they'll kill your snails for there's

Tank looks just like mine!

Your biggest concern should be your choice of a filtration system.
Research "wet/dry filter systems" before you start. Otherwise your in for a lot of work and continuous water changes.
Until you get your filter system going everything else is a waste of time.

I have always wanted a saltwater tank and now I have one...sitting in a lot of parts in my garage. I'm looking at all of your posts, articles, stickies, etc and I am completely lost:(

I'm not in a rush to get this done. Indeed, I know there are several things I need to do before I even consider sand, rock, cycling and fish.

A little history on where my tank from: My sister-in-law kept this tank for 10+ years. It was her first. I watched her grow and develop it over time..even move it from one house to another. (she may have even got a new tank during that move...not sure, but the rocks/coral/fish all transferred) They made another major move and this time the tank didn't go with. They transferred it to a friend who gave it a go and didn't have any luck. Everything died and she pulled the plug on the project.

Now it is in my garage and I want to do this right! This is where I need your help.

I have a 75 gallon tank and that's about all I know on the equipment. I was there when we took it apart and took some photos so I would remember how to put it back together, but the equipment is foreign to me. There is a huge custom built cabinet/stand and all of the pump stuff sits inside. I'm pretty sure there are bioballs and water sits in a chamber underneath..thats where you add the salt and keep the heater then it pumps back up into the aquarium.

Can you tell I am new at this?!

Q1: We took out all the live rock-the corals were dead- and it is wrapped up in towels in 3 laundry baskets. Can I clean this and re-use somehow or do I need to toss it and buy new? If re-usable..how do I clean it?

Q2: We tossed all of the sand--definitely starting over with that. Any tips on what to buy?

Q3: How do I clean the tank itself before I set it up? What works and what is a no-no?

Q4: is 75 gallons a good size to start with? At this point would there be any reason to consider something larger? (the stand could definitely handle it) I saw several comments on the petco $1 gallon sale...maybe I should take advantage of it.

I think that's a fair start with the questions. Step one for me is to take the plunge and gain enough knowledge to move it out of the garage!

Holy sunbeams, Batman! I changed out the white light bulbs today. I am shocked! I put in 10,000k high intensity T5 HO bulbs. Amazing! Makes me think I probably need to change the blue ones too.

While we are talking lighting...... How long should each type of light stay on each day? How long do they need to be off?

My fixture also has 4 blue spotlights. Are they just for show or do they provide a necessary function?

I run the blue lights for 9 hrs and the white for 8 The blue spot lights are moon lights there just for show it allows you to view the tank at night after lights out

I run the blue lights for 9 hrs and the white for 8 The blue spot lights are moon lights there just for show it allows you to view the tank at night after lights out

Run them both at the same time? Or one then the other?

BTW I changed out the blues today. I had no idea how bad the old ones were!

Yes i run both at the same time I like the color and more light dont hurt as i have a lot of coral.

Question of the day: What is the best rock arrangement for corals? Do I need to create a lot of flat/horizontal space? How close to the surface should my tallest rock be?

My rock got rearranged when I did my water change. I made sure the base was solidly down on the bottom of the tank.

Is it harmful for me to be reaching in there and rearranging things?

Question of the day: What is the best rock arrangement for corals? Do I need to create a lot of flat/horizontal space? How close to the surface should my tallest rock be?

My rock got rearranged when I did my water change. I made sure the base was solidly down on the bottom of the tank.

Is it harmful for me to be reaching in there and rearranging things?

You will want flat areas as well as holes big enough for frag plugs. Height is a mix of personal aesthetic preference and lighting requirements of the corals you want as well as the lights you are running.

I reach into my tank all the time. Some swear by wearing gloves and others like me don't. Some local aquarists have had to be rushed to the emergency room. Though i believe it depends on what you have. Some corals such as zoas(i dont have/want) have toxins(palytoxin) that you want to avoid. Especially if you have open wounds on your hands/arms. There is also a chance of cutting your hand and arms on your rock work as well.

Edit: Look up coral toxins. And at all times use caution. When in doubt wear gloves. I've seen full arm length rubber gloves sold for the aquarium trade. You may want to buy a pair.

On the flip side, make sure your hands and arms are clean prior to reaching in. You don't want soap residue or any other chemicals that may be on you to get in your tank.

Try to make caves for fish to hide in it sounds odd but the more caves you have the more your fish will be out in the open, for coral you can glue the frag plugs to the rock I wedge the plug in a spot before gluing to be sure the coral will do well where i place it
+1 Dav3 Zoas and palys are very toxic be sure to wash your hands every time your in the tank.

Ready to play the ID game? I found this the same day as my sponge. Hasn't really grown any but there are lots more if them now.

Attachments

• image-2164642704.jpg
    image-2164642704.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 98
  • image-3882042959.jpg
    image-3882042959.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 83
Will my new super-bright lights cause my coralline algae to fade? It was a bright green color. Now has less vivid color.

Also: will my sponge friend be upset by the light?

Mine did the same thing it faded for a while then colored back up I dont have any sponges so im not sure about those

As my tank matured I lost my green coralline algae and my purple came in. I have quite a few sponges and have recently switched to LEDs which have a bit more output. My sponges have been fine but I noticed the algae fades and comes back every time my lighting changes.

Question for the day: I did a 70% water change today lowered trates from 80 to 40. Guess I'll do it over and over again tomorrow till I get them as low as possible.

When I mix the salt according to directions the salinity is NEVER high enough What's up with that?!

While I am changing it out so much tomorrow do I really need to match the salinity and temp? I only have a few hermit crabs and the sponge.

I would aim to match the salinity and temp best you can. Inverts arent usually very happy with big salinity swings. :)

I add 1/2 cup of salt then a 1/4 of the half cup to one gallon and it usually comes right in at 1.025.

Back
Top Bottom