Need advice BEFORE I set up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I couldn't help myself! I took the trip to Houston to the semi-local fish store all prepared to buy 2 black and white clowns. When I got there they were all in separate tanks so I only bought one. All of the posts I read people always talk about having 2. Now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I should run down to the local Petco and get another clown ( or two?). They don't have black and white but they do have black n white saddlebacks and the "regular" orange and white clowns.

I also got a teeny- tiny yellow watchman goby, already named Paul Blart :) , 2 turbo snails and a cleaner shrimp.

They are all acclimating right now. Do I need to make a run to town for another clown?

Not exactly sure what to do here! Help!

Your petco has saltwater fish!!?!? Lucky

No, you don't have to get a second right away. I'm not too sure about the different breeds, but you can add the one you have now and add another later. The most important thing I could recommend is when you do add a second (presuming the same breed) be sure that it is smaller than the one you have now. For 2 reasons, the larger will become dominant. It will become the female if it isn't already, and if you get a smaller clown, there is a better chance it will still be a male. Once they become female, they can't change to male again. I hope I'm not being confusing.

Only 3 small tanks. Not many fish at all. I've seen the same 15 fish there for weeks now. But I'm glad to know there is a place for basic supplies. It is a major trip for me to drive to Houston.

Ideal temp for a reef tank is 80-82. I have read that actually you would see better growth with a slightly higher temp as opposed to cooler waters but i am not too sure of that. If you have any corals I highly recommend increasing your temp (do it slowly over a few days at least) I keep mine at 80...

So you are telling me that 80-82 is good wow that's news to me what about the fishes most fishes will not like that 80-82 for a long period of time I would like for you to send me that reading that says a reef tank should be between 80-82 I would love to read it. This is my tank lights are set that if tank reach 78 lights out I don't let my tank pass 78. All corals started from 1"-2".

image-377072438.jpg

To be honest I googled it when I first set up my tank and it found to be a much debated topic - however out of the many, many websites and forums and books that I read the majority leaned towards 80 so I have been going with that ever since. The most common temps I found was 78 in winter and 82 in summer. I am not saying its gospel in fact I would welcome any other advice if I have been doing it wrong all this time!

Sorry IPhone lol most of the fish we keep in reef tanks it is recommended for them to be at 72-78 and now think bout this summer it's 98 in your house and you keep you tank at 80-82 now plus that 98 in your home what temp you think your tank will be at. No chiller.

I used to have problems keeping temp with a t5 set up in summer but since switching to LEDs I haven't had that problem. I live in Australia and we do have hot summers but with air con in my living room I have a pretty stable room temperature. Can see how that would be a problem without air con and I would consider dropping tank temp or running a chiller if I didn't have it ;)

A good discussion, and y'all certainly have me scared and confused! I got my temp to come down some....now consistently at 80, that's with the heater on the lowest setting. I keep my house very cool 68-70 degrees, so I don't think it is contributing to the warm water.

Anyone else have any advice or references as to optimal temp? Maybe it depends on specific types of fish, inverts, corals? There's got to be a happy medium!

I keep my reef tanks at about 78. That is the middle of road between 76 and 80 which is what they are supposed to be at. This is what every lfs has told me, my reef club and everything I have read. All my coral and fish respond well to this temperature, never had an issue. My biocube used to run at about 80 due to the closed lid, I have since gone topless with it and it has dropped down to a stable 78. The 80 degrees did not affect my fish or coral in any negative way either, I just like 78, lol, I think it's reasonable easily kept.

Not dismissing y'all, just changing the subject.

The yellow watchman goby has been missing all day. He appeared to be happy last night. After lights out he tucked himself in under a rock. Halfway buried in the sand. Never saw him this morning. Boys say they didn't see him today. He's not out and about this evening. I've got so much rock, he could be anywhere. What is their typical behavior? If he is still alive will he come back out?

I was going to feed the for the first time tonight (my instructions from the fish store said to wait a day). I bought these frozen cubes the store recommended. Been thawing 1/2 cube for the 2 little guys. Do you think the goby will come out and find the food?

Attachments

• image-3784382194.jpg
    image-3784382194.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom