Need advice on a new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emo113

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everybody.. brand new to this scary salt water part of the hobby.. lol

I'm currently still in freshwater taking care of Cichlids. They are getting way too big in my 46G tank so I've decided to get rid of them, get some community fish and move the tank out of my room and into the living room.

I have a small 12G tank doing nothing so I want to try myself at this saltwater. My guess is that since it's such a small tank I wont be able to put a lot of fish so I need to know what you recommend I put in it...

also, since I need to buy a new filtration system, air pump, lighting and so on, is it so much different than freshwater? Also everybody tells me saltwater tanks are very picky and require very precise water chemicals. What would they be?

I'm really lost so any help would be of big help.

WELCOME TO AA!! And the saltie side.

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

In SW, bigger is better. The bigger tank the more room for error. With that being said, it is not impossible to keep nano tanks, you just have to be more diligent in maint.
Here are some Articles http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2 to get you started.
Here is a great article on Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=76139.
Here is a great site for info on Nano Fish http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=2124.

Thanks a lot... There seems to be a LOT of information that i need to learn before I take up this idea... like you said, the bigger the better, but in my situation, I dont have the resources to setup my big tank as saltwater.

The articles were great... gave me a lot of insight as well as the nano fish list... looks like I can put a clown or 2 and a goby..that's about it

That clown might get too big and not be happy in a 12G. I like the firefish. You could go with a pistol shrimp and goby combo. Certain gobys will live symbiotically with pistol shrimp. The pistol being nearly blind, the goby will bring him some food back and the shrimp will protect the goby. It's really neat. If you get a pistol, make sure your rock is against the bottom of the glass and very stable. There is not a piece/pile of my rock that hasn't been tunneled under.

heh, yeah that does sound like a neat combo...

I have Cichlids so I know what you mean, they dig up all kinds of stuff and move things around alllll the time

anyway, what if I want to put find sand on the bottom and not rocks?

Fine sand is good, just not super fine, meaning if it is too fine the water moving equipment will constantly stir it up. I have a combo of aragonite sand and rock. You really will want the rock. It will host the beneficial bacteria needed to convert ammonia to nitrItes to nitrAtes. It also serves as hiding places and extra food sources for your critters.

Back
Top Bottom