Need advice on an aquarium for a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waynejs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, i've been thinking about getting an aquarium for a saltwater setup for a while now. I stumbled across this site as I was doing some research, and I'm really glad I did. I just ordered the 'New Marine Aquarium' book by Michael Paletta and am eagerly waiting for its arrival. :D The reason for this post is that I saw a local pet store selling a Clarity Plus 25 gallon Flatback Hexagon Acrylic aquarium with hinged canopy, integrated filter system (pump and protein skimmer), and matching black acrylic stand for a clearance price of $425. I've checked online and this price seems very reasonable compared to the prices I've seen online. The aquarium and stand look very nice, and I'm sure it would look great in my condo. I was just wondering if you guys thought this price was reasonable and if this would be good for a saltwater setup. $400 is a lot of money, so I want to be careful. Thanks in advance for advice!

Great questions and great to hear that you have already purchased a book. Way to many people dive into this hobby way to fast with out proper research.

IMHO hex tanks are way over priced. You get a tank with a small amount of surface area and you pay way more money per gal than you would if you got a standard tank. I suspect you could piece together a 29 gal standard size tank for the same or less monty and have more surface area for gas exchange.

Surface area is very important as with less surface area your effective stocking capacity will be lower. Also with a hex thats way more seals to possibly leak than with a std tank.

If you really have fallen in love with the hex setup get it as that does sound decent for an acrylic hex tank. But in my option its not a steal of a bargin as far as tank prices go.

You may have luck looking in the paper for used systems that people are selling.

Like Fishfreak said look in the paper and maybe even ask the local fish store workers if they know anybody that wants to sell there tanks. I got my 80gl with almost everything for $500. You would be suprised what you can find in the paper

I got my tank from a guy who had it for sale in the paper-needs a little work before I get it up and running, but nothing too difficult to overcome. I think I got a decent deal. I guess the main thing is to be patient, and do alot of research-makes things easier as you go along :D Plus, that way, you'll know if you are getting something good, or getting the shaft. This site is a GREAT source of info, and they are *SO* nice to us newbSERT:lol: Good luck with the hunt, and keep reading!

Zoe

Hi Wayne,

Welcome to this wonderful group.

One item not addressed in previous responses from my fellow forum members, your concern about how the tank looks in your home. I totally understand this aspect.

That being said, I will have to say a little more firmly than the previous posts... I believe you will be disappointed very quickly with an investment of the size tank you are looking at. (When I started out, I purchased a 35g and a week later, I got out of that tank and into a REEF READY 75 gallon. My personal opinion is that you would be wasting your money purchasing the hex tank.

Be sure, I do not say this to discourage you. There are some beautiful small SWF that would do nicely in a small tank, but you are limited. And, I believe you will be able to find a good deal in a larger size.

Please keep us posted. And, keep asking questions. No matter what you decide, this is a great place to get advise and opinions; and soon, I hope you will be able to offer your experiences to new SWF hobbyists.

Sue

I have nothing really informative to add....just the thought that this stuff should come with warning labels as it is so addictive. Come to think of it, so are these folks here. They have been more than patient with me and my forage into SW (which incidently, is ALL THEIR FAULT!!).

I know that when I started my freshwater adventure, I started with a 30 gallon, which quickly became a 55 and now I have 5 fresh and 1 newly started SW.

Good luck, whatever you decide, I predict you will enjoy what you have and be continually planning your next one.

They have been more than patient with me and my forage into SW (which incidently, is ALL THEIR FAULT!!).

:twisted: But we did it for your own good :twisted:

If you had started your SW adventure in a smaller tank like you was thinking initally I suspect within a year you would end up with 2 SW tanks as you would find the 55 just not large enough for your new addiction.

Back
Top Bottom