Need advice on getting a new tank after few years of not having one.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncscuba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had a 45g FOWLR tank a few years ago but had to get rid of it because I had to sell the house and move for work. Now I own a house again and will be set for a few years so I decided I want another tank.

I am going to do a 75g(ish) display tank with a 18g(ish) sump. I plan on starting with LR and live sand but will eventually want to do some coral.
I have never used a sump before so here is where my questions come in:

I plan on getting:
Red Sea Reefer 350 system
EHEIM Compact+ Pump 3000
2 x 150w Heaters

When using a sump do you put the heaters in the sump or DT? I would want them hidden so I dont have to look at them.

Anyone have any recommendation on a good/QUIET in sump protein skimmer? Also any recommendation on lighting is appreciated. I would like programmable LED, considering the 36Watt Orbit LED by Current. Any thought/opinions on that one?

Thanks for any advice

I keep my skimmer in the sump and also my 2 heaters , less clutter in the tank
my sump is view-able yes a eye sore I never added the doors I originally planned
I myself wish I could find a quiet pump everyone I found start out quiet but get louder in time . I use a 30g tank for a sump with my 90g I like to know if theirs a power outage and I have back up into the sump it don't overflow .
that light would be a concern if your wanting coral I don't think it would have enough penetration into a 75g tank .
I use a pair of these over a 90 and never had a complaint.
WiFi Dimmable Full Spectrum 165W LED Aquarium Light Fish Tank Reef Coral | eBay

Heaters are great to have in the sump and out of the main tank but make sure it will fit... mine does not.

I use a Bubble-Magus curve 5 skimmer in the sump and it is silent

For lighting I am using a Current Ramp Timer pro. its programeble and all with a remote but is too small for my 95 gallon so I combined it with cheaper light as well that is on a shorter schedual. it works great with my star plolyps and all the fish how ever somthings up with a few of my other corals so maby you shouldeng listen to me about lighting. the skimmers great though!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1474214087.887303.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom