Need advice on new rocks added to my 3 week old tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyFrick31

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, just got a tank a few weeks ago that has been filtering and pumping water non stop. now i am in the cycling process and 3 days ago I added my 48 inch Current USA SunPod 2x150W 14K HQI-MH w/ 18 Lunar Lights Information which is a few years old so I need some information on that in a minute after I'm done giving you the rest of the details
But also 3 days ago I added my live rock..

1.) I got one 5 pound rock of the fish stores highest quality rocks marked at 15 dollars a pound.

2.) I got 20-30 pounds of the cheapest live rock with the minimum amount of life on it at 4.99 a pound.

3.) I got 15-25 pounds of 2 year old rock from a friends tank that he is emptying out as well.
(This rock that he gave me has microscopic feather dusters all over it) ill talk more about that also in a minute.

So if you guys could answer my following questions as they are numbered and give me and addition advice, that would be great.

1.) the light that I have is TWO YEARS OLD and has 3 settings....
-the two large Halite bulbs (for daylight)
- 3 sets of 3 led blue lights (for night and day)
- 3 sets of 3 led white lights (for night and day)

SO FIRST OFF.

-Is this light strong enough for a 55gallon set up reef tank? (I believe it is, but want to hear what you all think)

-Do you think that the lights would be dim after this period of time and if so how would I go about replacing each light, and where could I get replacement bulbs if needed?

-also, the screws for the two main halite bulbs have calcium build up on them, where could I get replacements for them?

2.) the TWO YEAR OLD live rock that my friend gave me...
-could that effect the tank in any negative way?
-are feather dusters ok if the tank is in its first ever cycle?
-are feather dusters safe for a reef tank or should they be removed

And
- if I don't want the feather dusters, does anyone know the best way to remove them from the live rock without damaging the rest of the organisms on the live rock?

Also could this TWO YEAR OLD live rock my friend gave me be carrying any types of parasites that would be negative to the first cycle of the tank or the tank in general?

If you guys could help me out with these two aspects of the tank (LIGHT AND LIVE ROCK) that would be great!

Thanks for listening and hope to hear your replies soon!

Re :2

As far as the feather dusters go I like them and anything growing on the rocks could be both good and bad .
The bad thing not much will live through the nitrogen cycle .
When they say live rock I am to the understanding they are referring to the live bacteria on the rock not just what could be growing on it .
You can take dead dry rock and place it into a tank and it will become live within time .

Back to rocks and the cycle .
I bought 75 lbs used from a friends tank and cycled my tank and the only thing that lived was the bristle worms that hitchhiked in .
They are amazing scavengers though .

The light you have will be fine for your tank but you will have to replace the halide for sure, the LEDs should be ok.
Nothing wrong with feather dusters on live rocks you have acquired, it will be a nice bonus if they make it through the cycle. Do you plan a reef tank? If so, the only thing that might be a problem with using your friends two year old rock is to ask him if he ever used any copper based medication (or even tap water for that matter) as copper can be harmful to any inverts you might want and your corals won't like it...

Looks like you got 45lbs or so live rock. You might want a bit more in a 55 gal system. But I'd get cheap dry rock at no more than $1/lb. Put it in the bottom under the live rocks. But it's not required. Feather dusters are good filter feeders. Put them facing down or so they are not exposed to direct MH lights. They like it darker (at least mine do).
Bulbs need to be replaced.
If you can remove the screws you should be able to clean them in a simple vinegar solution. If not, wiping them with a vinegar soaked cloth should clean them right up. Vinegar is safe around the tank in moderation as well, so don't fret that. Its often used in carbon dosing which you hopefully will never have to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom