Need ADVICE Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4inchSandBed

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got a 35gallon Hex tank. I was wondering what the ideal size Powerhead would be and also what size heater should i get. The dimensions of the tank are 23 L x 20 W x 24 H. this is gonna be a saltwater fish tank only no reef. Thanks!

You want to have the water turned over at a rate of 10 X's your tank volume per/hr. I would get two smaller ph's as opposed to one large one and place one on either end.
Maybe two maxijet 400's.

I'd go with 2 MaxiJet 600's or 900's. The 400 is only moving 106 GPH, which would put you a little on the low side of 10x turn over.

As for the heater, in a 35 gallon I would suggest a 150 watt heater.

ASpec said:
I'd go with 2 MaxiJet 600's or 900's. The 400 is only moving 106 GPH, which would put you a little on the low side of 10x turn over.

As for the heater, in a 35 gallon I would suggest a 150 watt heater.

lol oops. I agree. My math is a little off. Sorry about that.

lol oops. I agree. My math is a little off. Sorry about that.
Don't be sorry! I had to do the math myself before I posted my response. I saw your post and said... Yeah, Fluff has it right. Then I started thinking about it and thought.... maybe he's a little bit off! :D

actually brought mine off of ebay through petsolutions
I noticed a couple weeks ago they started selling on eBay but I've found if you purchase direct from there site it's cheaper (most items). Don't ask me why.

yeah, i was just looking at their catalog, 4inchsandbed is my friend and were talking on the phone right now, and im like Darn, there a little cheaper if you order dircetly through them. Now i know.

I only use 1 but I read many people are now using 2 for backup purposes. I have a Won Brothers Pro Heat II so I don't worry much about it going bad (although I'm sure it could happen).

Yes, a 200 watt will be plenty to heat your tank.

okay okay sooo heres what i got

35 gallon HEX tank, Hood, and light
25 gallons RO water (mite need more after sand and rock)
50 gallon bag of Instant Ocean
20lbs. of Arag Alive (aragonite reef sand)
40lbs. of CaribSea aragonite sand
30lbs. Base rock (hirocks.com)
12 ounce water conditioner (TLC brand)

just ordered:

2 Visi therm 150w heaters
2 MAxijet 900 powerheads

searching for a protein skimmer and test kit, hydrometer, etc.

let me know if im heading in the rite direction. Ive been doin alot of research and reading. Any and all suggestion will be appreciated.

thanks everyone :mrgreen:

12 ounce water conditioner (TLC brand)
What are you going to use this for? If you're using RO water this is not necessary. I don't even know what it is, but I don't like the sound of it... "water conditioner".

searching for a protein skimmer and test kit, hydrometer, etc.
CPR Bak Pak or a AquaC Remora would be your best bet for a PS. Stay away from the Prizim's. SeaChem makes an excellent Marine Basic Test kit (~ $25) which will test for ammonia, PH, nitrate, nitrite, and ALK. Looking to spend less, check out the Liquid Master Test Kit (~ $15)... the only test you lose of the SeaChem is the ALK.

Also consider using a Refractometer in place of the Hydrometer if you can afford it. They are on eBay for around $30. Not required, but it's much more accurate. If you need to let your wallet recover you can go with a basic Hydormeter for now.

Aspec thanks for all the advice i looked at the CPR BakPAk and its most likely what im gonna get for a skimmer unless i can come up with a few extra bucks and get the AquaC Remora.

Im also gonna order a mix of Gulf and Keys from Liverocks.com, the Marine Basic Test kit, and a Refractometer.... that should be about it for now

As for the water conditoner im gonna take that back first thing tomrrow morning

im soo anxious to get started, wish me luck! :!:

Back
Top Bottom