Need equipment help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steinbrook4

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First Off I should introduce myself.... Hello All my name is Nate!!!
I find myself more and more confused daily as I surf multiple forums about new tank setup, what works best for me, this is a must have, etc... So here I am posting another question on another site in hopes someone out there will point in me in the right direction!!!
Heres where I currently am and where I hope to be......
I have a 30 gallon Oceanic cube
Queen turbo protein skimmer ( I know....i know they come with mixed results)
I know where I need to be with heaters
I plan on on two powerheads for circulation

Here is where I'm getting confused...... I read alot about sump systems and like the idea of hiding all of my equipment plus making up some of my lost water volume given up by the 40+ pounds of live rock. I don't have the funds to buy a acyrilic sump so I've even thought of going with the rubbermaid idea just to bump my volume back up. Although I don't understand the concept? Basicly what options do I have to run my skimmer, hang it on the back or store it benethe in conjuction with a hang on the back overflow of some kind? I think my problem is I have a hard time visulizing things through description of how things are setup without seeing them!!! I have my skimmer with no idea of how I want to run this thing, I do know i'm looking into a pump with around 2000 l/r to run it. It does get mixed reviews but from what I understand it just needs to be overpowered to get the results needed. I also have thought about adding a canister type filtration to my system to help intigrate some carbon to the system as well as to booste some extra filtration. I keep reading and reading and don't want to jump without a parachute per say so I'm trying my best to get things in order. I'm planning on 4" of live sand with 40+pounds of live rock when I'm ready to cycle, but I have to get my equipment in order first. I've read about people using there skimmers inside acyrilic sumps before but I'm thinking more along the lines of the rubbermaid container sump...anyone know how to use a skimmer in conjuction with this kind of sump? Or should I just hang it on the back with nothing additionaly to start with? I'm basicly looking to start FOWLR to start with and possibly up my lighting and adding some hardy moderate light requirment coral in the future. This being my first SW tank I'm looking for the most budget freindly yet successful setup possible to get me started using what I've alreadt aquired. Thanks in advance for reading my post....any advice or been there done that stories are surely welcomed!!!!!

:smilecolros: :smilecolros: Welcome to AA Nate!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
:smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

You can definately use a rubbermaid tub... and it can be as big as you want it (allowing for enough room under your stand). Basically, all a sump is just a container that holds extra water, can hold your equipment, some LR rubble, and other endless goodies. It can be divided by baffles, which are just either glass or acrylic dividers to force the water to change directions (to make separate chambers for the skimmer, refugium, LR, and for micro-bubble control).

Your skimmer... does it hang on the back or is it submersible? If it hangs ont he back of the tank, just pretend your sump IS your tank, and hang it off of the back of the sump (or to the side, or front, or whatever). Just make sure the rubbermaid is sturdy enough to stand the weight of the skimmer when it is full of water. No need to spend $250+++ on acrylic when a $3 tub will do basically the same thing... hold water (especially if you take the bioballs out of the LFS store bought units that are $300++).

Here is a pic (dunno who's it is) of a sump that's made of a fish tank with glass baffles. Doesn't have to be as elaborate as this one, since you can place the baffles (dividers) anyway you want. Just think of some ideas, and post them! I'm sure we'll all give you some advice.

Hope this helps

~~Rob

Back
Top Bottom