Need guidance on whether to start tank over again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The inside dimensions are 14 1/2 X 15 1/2. How many stages should a sump have?

at least 2. that way you can have an area with no water level fluctuation, and you can have a bubble trap so that none go back up to the display.
just a pair of partitions so the water goes over and then under. the first partition should be 8"-10" tall. this will allow for the proper water level to run a skimmer efficiently.

this 14.5 x 15.5, is that the entire sump, or just that square area with the light in it? i would need to know that area. that is the area you'll be putting the skimmer in.

something like this should work for you-
Reef Octopus NWB-150 6" Internal Protein Skimmer
or this one-
Reef Octopus Extreme 160 Protein Skimmer by CoralVue* - AquaCave
this one can even be set up externally-
Reef Octopus DNWB 150 Recirculating Protein Skimmer - AquaCave

That is the area with the light in it. I just pulled the pumps and things out of the sump and this is what wAs in it an aquaClear 110 and a JEBO thing looks like a centrifuge with a submersible force pump connected to it pics forthcoming.

that aquaclear 110 is 900 gph if i'm not mistaken. that could be used as your pump to return water back to the display.

Here are the things in the sump I pulled out

Attachments

• image-973874151.jpg
    image-973874151.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image-3189179464.jpg
    image-3189179464.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 88
ha..that thing on the right looks like a cheezy protein skimmer. i would set that aside and put something worth while in there.

Ok what do they run? I want the best I can get, this tank has been a dream of mine since I was 10 and I'm 31 now.

i hear ya. well, there is no limit my friend, but the links above will do a good job for a decent price. if you want to go a little stronger, you can get the next model up, so, say...instead of the octo extreme 160, you can get the octo extreme 200. a killer skimmer for your system.

Thanks for all your help I'll keep updating this as I get fatter along in this

Btw as for cleaning the rocks in the sump should I wait till I can get some fresh salt water to put them in? And what kind of lighting should I use.

you definitely have to clean them in salt water. i would have new salt water made up anyway, for the DT. you are going to want a tub or drum or something to have R.O. water stored in and also to mix new salt water. you can't mix it in the tank with fish in it.

as for lighting, do you want to keep corals/anemones/clams, or is this just going to be fish? if it's just fish, you can use pretty much any lighting that will span the entire tank. fish only need light to see their food.
if you want to turn this into a reef tank, then you have a few choices:

1. metal halide lighting.
2. T5 high output lighting
3. LED lighting.

the best and most expensive being LED. all of the above choices will allow you to keep anything you want under them.
for a 6', 125, i would go with 3 x 250 watt metal halides, or at least a 12 x 39 watt T-5 HO fixture. you can use two 3' fixtures if need be.
LED lighting is new and expensive, but uses the least amount of electricity, and doesn't put any heat in the tank. there are many fixtures out there and few of them are worthwhile.

Ok, thanks but I'm a little ignorant when it comes to the abbreviations y'all are using. And yes I'm doing coral.

Ok that explains some, thanks I'm in the process of cleaning the sump today and tomorrow going to wipe down the tank again. Called a LFS today to find out what the price was on the live rock and water **** its expensive. Live sand $50.00 for 40 lbs, water $.99 a gal, live rock on sale $6.00 a lb.

don't buy live sand. buy dry sand and rinse it well and add it to the tank. it will become live on it's own.
buy dry rock from marco rocks or bulk reef supply. it too, will become live on it's own and won't have any bad hitch hikers.
also, look into a R.O.D.I. unit. make your own water at home.

Are those online stores? And what is R.O.D.I. system. I'm completely lost here.

Back
Top Bottom